Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Pines last night
  • Pook

Cracking riding, but it is very very boggy in certain areas so make sure you have the right tyres.

Didn't see the deer, but right at the end saw a rabbit belt across the track with a large bird of prey in pursuit. Thought it was an owl but not too sure.

Also had the pleasure of my mate ramming his bar end into my left arse cheek as I ground to a halt in one particularly deep bog 😯

Now, one more question – what's with the Dog and Duck? Bit, erm, garish isn't it?

If you were the two others from Nottingham setting off when we got there hope you had a good one

matthewlhome
    Free Member

I went in there for a post ride pint a few weeks ago. Felt a bit out of place in shorts and t shirt.

It always seems to be very busy though.

thefallguy
    Free Member

Now, one more question – what's with the Dog and Duck? Bit, erm, garish isn't it?

good food from a "wanna be" gastro pub but its a bit ott re the decor, just the landlord expressing his 'taste'. I always feel a bit underdressed going in for a beer post ride n caked in the brown stuff

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i'm just sad at not going riding last night because of being a bit poorly.

Lucas
    Free Member

Hi Pook – I was one of the guys from Nottingham, I did wonder if it was you in the car park before setting off.

We had a good ride, boggy in places (which I presume are the bits of original track that have not been resurfaced) but it all adds to the fun. There was one slippy sliddy downhill about 3/4 way round that was very good. Gld teh rain stayed off too!

Pook

do you know it well Lucas?

Lucas
    Free Member

Not really no, I've been there a few times but don't know any of the singletrack and certianly couldn't find it in the dark!

Pook

Well if i'm there in the day (probably when it gets a lot colder) I'll happily show you round. The Kitchener doesn't really do it justice. Adey and Gravy on here are very good for local knowledge too

thefallguy
    Free Member

I tend to ride Pines (most wednesdays meeting in the Pub car park at 6ish) you are welcome to tag along as we try to avoid the worst of the filth, we know the place fairly well even in darkness, we usually do between 10 – 15 miles and aim to be back at the pub for 8.30

Pook

may well take you up on that fallguy

Lucas
    Free Member

thefallguy – were you the group sitting outside the pub when we (2 of us covered in mud) came back to the car at 9ish?

May well take you guys up on the offer of guiding. We've just decided to try wednesday night a regular thing – although we might struggle to be there for 6pm everyweek I'm sure we can manage it a few times.

Next couple of weeks are earmarked for more local south Notts rides. I'll give you a shout before we go next time.

will
    Free Member

I went out for a run instead last night, around Blidworth etc… was bloody wet, so can't imagine what the Kitchner trail would be like 😆

Went out on my own 2 weeks ago, and had forgotten that we had any rain, had some Kenda Small Blocks on…That was a mistake! Also on teh first bit of singletrack, just came around a corner and there was a massive stag (not the getting married type) in the track, just looking at me. Proper brown pant moment!

Think i'm going there tonight if anybody wants to join in? Be there about 7:30ish

haddock
    Free Member

Pook remind me to take a Hawaian shirt and a pair of satin side stripped dress trousers for next time we go to the Duck.

I must say, I was disappointed at the lack of campness in the toilets though, I expected far more given the overall decor! 🙂

will
    Free Member

😆

The joys of walking in their in full lycra 🙄

Pook

I'm going to recommend they get these for urinals

thefallguy
    Free Member

Lucas: No it wasn't us last night at the pub, I didn't make last night 1st one I've missed for months 🙁 but it would be good to see in the future.

Pook you and the Haddock are always welcome 🙂

the statue urinals would be in keeping with the gay bordello look!

haddock
    Free Member

Thats would be far more like it, that and a giant clam shell full of single serving soaps!

MoreCashThanDash

Had my first taste of the Kitchener trail on Sunday, as the BHF charity ride from there was cancelled due to the monsoon conditions.

Despite both of us going through sets of pads and various other components in the course of 10 miles or whatever it is, I quite like it – I've ridden there a couple of times before the trails were built, so I know there are other and better bits, but it's a nice route.

Somewhat concerned about it lasting a whole winter though – was shocking on Sunday!

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Hi,

I've not been to Sherwood Pines since they started mucking about with it – dare say I wouldn't recognize the place anymore.

Used to night ride there many years ago and had a ball – may give it another go if the consensus is that it's a good place to ride again.

Cheers

thefallguy
    Free Member

The new trails are ok as far as they go and woodland singletrack is one of my favourite types of riding, but they just seem like a wasted opportunity IMO, and no surface to the singletrack in most places means a week of rain like the last one turns 50% into a quagmire

will
    Free Member

It does annoy me how they have put road stone down on quite alot of the worst places! I used to love going through there on the CX bike!

Thing is, it's a great little local loop, but to make it more fun you have to go and explore other areas in the woods!

Pook

It's a while since I've had a proper explore down there too. Might get an early morning trip in the book

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Pines last night’ is closed to new replies.