Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pinch-flat punctures in tubeless tyres
  • ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’m running tubeless 120tpi Surly Dirt Wizards on 50mm wide POG DB-X50 rims. I’m frequently getting pinch punctures after slightly harder impacts. Little holes just above the rim, annoyingly too big to self-seal. They usually fix easily with a slug but I’m getting far too many for my liking.

I know the 120 tpi DWs have a reputation for being delicate so I’m not totally surprised, but could it be being made worse by my cheap rims?
    I need to replace the tyres soon really, are there any tougher walled 29+ options? I’ve got (untested so far) apex lined 2.8 Nobby Nics on my Codeine but I don’t think they’re available on 29″.

Kahurangi

Splash out on some Huck Norris?

legend
    Free Member

Shove some more pressure in? Regardless of how tough the casing is you still don’t want to be bottoming the tyre out on the rim

ir_bandito
    Free Member

That’s a good point Jon

Don’t really want to put more pressure in, defeats the object of running plus sized tyres.

Northwind

Yup, pinch flats are from too low pressure. A tougher carcass or rounder (or softer) rim might mitigate that but it’s not really the right fix. It’s not so much a cheap rim thing, just that some cut tyres up more than others

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I found this to be a problem even with 2,4 inch 29ers tyres. At the pressures I liked I was holing snakeskin and grid tyres. I ended up running tougher carcass rears after choking on the price of the Huck norris things.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pinch-flat punctures in tubeless tyres’ is closed to new replies.