Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pin in the map – best places to live as a mountain biker _outside_ the UK
  • antennae
    Free Member

What are the best places to live as a mountain biker _outside_ the UK?

Preferably with access to at least a decent-sized town for meeting people, and coffee shops/co-working spaces? I’m a remote worker and that stuff’s pretty important.

Loads in the US I know, but can’t get a longer-term visa there.

I love NZ, but I’m nearly 35 so now limited to 6-month tourist visa.

I can get a work permit for Canada, but my recent ex is in Vancouver, so thinking of steering clear of there for the moment. Anywhere else is fair game though.

I have a UK passport so anywhere in the EU is on the cards, limited only by language skills (slightly-better-than-schoolboy French, but that’s the lot).

Any inspiration, STW hive mind? 🙂

Milkie
    Free Member

Bourg Saint Maurice or Seez in France. Prices aren’t too bad either. I haven’t lived there, but the riding is freakin awesome.

lunge

Grenoble, France is where I would go. A city with an airport and TGV links, 1 hour’s drive into the real alps with slightly smaller mountains on your door step, lots of nice places to eat and drink and I’ve always found it a really good place to spend your time.

I’d also be tempted with Queenstown or Wanaka in NZ though I accept visa requirements my scupper that idea.

colp

Salzburg City?
    Pretty enough, huge ski areas in Winter, Leogang, Schladming, Wagrain in Summer, all 1 hr from the city.
    Cost of living very reasonable.

I love Munich also, the job opportunities might be better there but I think accommodation can be pricey.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Bourg St Maurice or Sospel.

Weather in Sospel seems pretty good year round, although there’s easy access to snow sports not much further north. Menton/Nice etc about an hour away to the south.

Stoner
    Free Member

We’re toying with the idea of heading to Macon, Burgundy, in a couple of years for a while.

Nice market town. 3 hours from Morzine.
    2 hours from Geneva Airport
    1 hour from Lyon Airport/Gare SNCF/TGV

On the autoroute network.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pin in the map – best places to live as a mountain biker _outside_ the UK’ is closed to new replies.