• This topic has 36 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Pimped Propel and TCR's
  • shanta
    Free Member

Cant decide between the Propel or TCR so thought some pics of pimped rides might help sway the decision. What you got ladies and gents?

TiRed

Mine’s a stock Propel SL2. Too ages to choose the white one. So glad I did. Previous Propel was the nice black and red frame only option. But the white bike is faster 😉 both have Arundel carbon cages if that counts as bling.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

are they not really different bikes? is it not like choosing between a ferrari and a range rover?

TiRed

Not really, they have the same geometry, same carbon layup, same finishing kit.

Different tube shapes means stiffness is a little different, sloping top tube on the TCR is not to all tastes (I love it). Aero frame may have some benefits (but not as much as a skinsuit), aero brakes are not as easy to modulate as dual calipers.

Both are great bikes. TCR may be a little cheaper at the moment. Choose on paint finish 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Propel only really looks any good with deep wheels, and ideally a -17 stem to match the top tube.

shanta
    Free Member

Yes, TCR with Ultegra is really good price now and I agree that the Propel looks better with deep rims , but then so do most bikes. Amy pics of your rides guys?

shanta
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Free Member

Keep meaning take a photo of my bike with a nice view but abhor stopping on a ride. May make an exception tomorrow just for you 🙂

OmarLittle
    Free Member

I built mine from the pro frameset (so no ISP) but its ultegra di2 with giant wheels and their integrated bars so its pretty similar to to what the standard spec is. Although i suppose the bars are a bit of an upgrade.

Photos dont really capture the paint colour particularly well as there is is pearlescent sparkle.

with climbing wheels:

with deep sections:

TiRed

Old TCR

First Propel (RIP)

New Propel!

The photos of the new one out in the field are dreadful so far! But here’s a club mates identical bike, and the old one in action. The white bike is quite a looker and I’ve had a few comments already – never had that for the Propel mk1.

The keen-eyed among you will spot that the mk1 is rocking 10 speed 6700 and a compact crankset with 11-23 rear cassette. the mk2 SL is stock with 6800 and a semi compact 52/36 and an 11-25 rear. I miss the compact if I’m honest and will probably swap the 52 for a 50 outer ring. I won’t be troubling 52-11 any race soon!

shanta
    Free Member

Nice bikes – defo deeps look the business. What do you guys think about Propels for long distance (60-100 miles)?

TiRed

Propel is just fine for 100 mile rides. And it climbs hills just fine too. I rode a certain well-known 100 mile ride on Sunday and it gave me no trouble at all. Felt fine afterwards too.

I will say that 25c tyres are a bit of a squeeze under the rear brake straddle wire on the stock brakes.

You won’t spot it but the black propel has the upgraded Fourier brakes and these have more clearance and are generally nicer to use. When the bike is returned from the Police, I will swap them over.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Here’s my TCR….

I love it. Great for pretty much everything I want to do on it (racing crits, road, long training rides, fast country road blasts.) Have no desire to change it, but if I was buying now I must admit I’d probably go for something “aero” (a Propel or a Foil or a Madone) with racing in mind (though would like to see relative CdA figures.) I’d absolutely 100% recommend the TCR.

Apologies for the lack of pimping. Has race wheels on. Different saddle, bars and stem from stock. Oh and the newer ultegra chainset and some vector pedals. That’s about it.

eshershore
    Free Member

this is Mrs Esher Shore’s Propel Advanced Pro

this is the 2016 TCR which I was lucky enough to ride recently

I also got to borrow this for a few weeks earlier this year

shanta
    Free Member

@ mrblobby

That TCR looks real nice with the deeps on. Im think of the Advance 1 if i go TCR in black then purchase some deep rims. What rims you got on there?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks shanta. They’re just cheap Planet X 50mm tubs. If I was more serious about racing on the road bike I’d probably get some Zipp 404’s for it but bike funds are currently going elsewhere. Do think the TCR looks great with deeper rims though.

plus-one

Lovely rigs folks I love a good tcr me 🙂

Tired is your old tcr anodized finish or have you stripped paint off ? I have an 03 that I will never part with its my Sunday best after I sold my top flight tcr advanced sl(wasted on me 😉

Cheers 🙂

TiRed

The old TCR is raw aluminium finish and stock. Lovely isn’t it? From 2007. Now ridden by one of our club juniors.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Not really, they have the same geometry, same carbon layup, same finishing kit.

I was thinking Defy

I’d choose the TCR just so I didn’t have to put up with the cable routing on the propel

TiRed

Personally, I prefer the looks of the TCR advanced SL. But I have a Defy as well, and they would be too similar, and I absolutely NEED to save every watt when racing (maybe). So I have the propel. But if I had to choose just one bike, it would be the TCR. With deep section wheels, obviously.

Leigh2612
    Free Member

All those propels look great, white one looks immense though. Maybe next year…!

shanta
    Free Member

both Propels and TCR looking neck and neck at the min. I have both bikes on demo from Tues for a few days so will get more of a taste then i guess, but TCR has the best deals in the sales just now.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Mine from 2 (or 3) years ago.More functional race bike (wheels are disposable racing crits and I had a supply of rims!) than pimp.

eshershore
    Free Member

@shanta

if you are looking at the TCR I’d recommend waiting to try the 2016 model, it was really night and day different when I rode it, compared to the older bikes.

Felt less bulky, less “neutral” so much more ‘lively’ in a good way. Felt more like my Tarmac SL4 in terms of handling, which is a compliment.

I liked the previous TCR as I spent a month riding the Advanced Pro above; however it felt very ‘workmanlike’ and efficient rather than being an exciting ride like the new TCR

Comparing 2015 TCR to Propel, I really preferred the balanced ride feel of the Propel, which surprised me as I had not enjoyed previous aero bikes I’d ridden. The Propel had excellent handling and feel across the entire frame.

shanta
    Free Member

@ esher shore

Budget wont stretch to a 2026 model unfortunatley unless my number come up this week.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Not bling, more of a workhorse.

TiRed

I think that is the key to Giant bikes. Workmanlike tools for a job. I didn’t buy mine because they are bling. I bought them because they are great to ride, well made (largest carbon bike producer) and our club are sponsored by Giant and it’s nice to have the matching name on the jersey. If I wanted “bling” i’d 1) look elsewhere (hello Colnago and Pegoretti) and 2) not want to use it properly. I’ve had bling, and now I prefer performance 🙂

*** off to polish the white Propel for tonight’s race ***

shanta
    Free Member

Just seen the typo on previous post, i meant 2016..

plus-one

Surely hover bikes will be de rigueur by 2026. 😀

OmarLittle
    Free Member

TiRed – have you gone tubeless with the aero wheels? Im tempted but not sure how it would work with (presumably) valve extensions required too.

njee20
    Free Member

TCR is a much better looking bike IMO. The Giant Alpecin team bikes look awesome.

eshershore
    Free Member

@njee20

I’ve just been into Giant Camden (my local bike shop) and the guys showed me the 2016 dealer book as they just came back from Giant Brand Store training.

Giant are doing a Giant Alcepin Team TCR, looked really good. No pricing though in the book. guess around £8k?

Some big changes across the range of each family, some new Defy Advanced Pro models with mech. Dura Ace at the top, then Di2 ultegra, then mech. ultegra.

njee20
    Free Member

Do they do a frame Only option do you know? Could be sorely tempted…

Edit: they do, £2k, interesting… Phone call may be needed!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Njee, does FKW extend to replica paint jobs 😉

Esher-shore, did there happen to be a new Trinity in that dealer book?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Really interested in seeing more of the new Trinity too, can’t afford it or do it justice but still wanna see it!

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Also, how is it possible for such a huge company like Giant to have such a shitty website, it’s a right pain trying to view it on iPhone.

Edit – And how come Giant Australia have the new TCR’s up but Giant UK don’t.

TiRed

No I run latex inner tubes with a valve extender to pump them up. My team mate ran the carbon wheels tubeless briefly. It was not great to be honest. I run Ksyriums tubeless with Schwalbe Ones and the wheels can run 11spd.

Just raced the white one to no acclaim. Top third, but what a bike. Disappears from underneath you when going hard in a race, that’s all you can ask for of a bike. Three other Propels in the race (of 45 bikes)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Pimped Propel and TCR's’ is closed to new replies.