Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pimp or replace
  • mikey74
    Free Member

So, here’s the thing: I bought a Pinnacle Arkose 1 cx bike about a month ago and having used it a lot in that time, I am sold on the idea of having a cx bike for cx and road duties (probably with a spare set of wheels).

So assuming I se’ll my carbon road bike, is the Pinnacle worth pimping (over time) to get it lighter, or shall I sell them both and get something else? If so, what?

No racing involved, by the way. Must have discs.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

wwaswas

personally, I’d keep it as it is for cx and buy a ‘proper’ road bike for road riding.

The geometry is different enough that you’ll notice it and a road bike will always tend to be lighter even with less pimp components on a decent frame.

Not sure what you’re budget is but there’s lots of decent full bikes around the £1k mark which is probably decent set of wheels and a posh groupset for the pinacle sort of price?

faustus

There’s no harm in it, it’ll never be as light as a road equivalent and the geo is indeed a bit different. But I had done the same. I have an Arkose 3 that is my ‘road’ bike, commuter and general trudger for towpaths/easy off-road when needed. It does really well. I have it mildly pimped with full Campag transmission (bought as frame only) and use it as a road bike most of the time. It’s perhaps not as exciting as a true road bike, but I do alright with it, and it did a trip to the alps last year and took me up l’alpe d’huez in a respectable time. It’s nice to have discs and the versatility to go from 40mm winter tyres to 25mm slicks with no bother.

mikey74
    Free Member

Was: as per my OP, I already have a road bike, as well as my cx.

Having used my cx on the road a bit as well, the only thing that is really an issue is the weight and the 35mm tyres, but those can be sorted.

cp

My road bike set up is quite different to CX. The road is similar geo frame but has longer stem and bar reach, and I have the bars lower. Much lighter wheels on the road, different gearing too with 1×10 on the CX.

Would be a mare to keep swapping parts and making adjustments between the 2. Depends how seriously you take your road cycling though. I like mine to be about brute speed, fast handling etc… So I like the bike to be specific to the use.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not that fussy.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

wwaswas

Was: as per my OP, I already have a road bike, as well as my cx.

I’m not reading the whole post before replying, this is stw! 😳

Keep the road bike would be my advice, then. The bike will always have the wrong wheels/tyres/saddle/etc on it for the ride you suddenly decide you want to do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pimp or replace’ is closed to new replies.