Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Pimp my wheels! (Roadie content)
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Not sure I’d bother with the C24. Unless you need an extra wheelset or really want alloy. They don’t seem especially light. I’d probably put the cash towards getting a lighter pair of aero wheels, though the 404 are pretty good as it is.

The Roval CLX would tempt me as they seem light and aero, sub 1400g for the 40mm and sub 1500g for the 60mm. I’d have a dig into the aero claims and see how they compare. DT Swiss internals on the hubs is good too. And the price isn’t silly either (fairly similar to Zipp.)

I’m not sure when I’d use a stupidly light set of climbing wheels, other than maybe a proper hill climb event, but then if I did much of that I’d probably get some silly light carbon tubs. Spend far more time on rolling terrain than on long properly steep climbs. Maybe if I had an Alps holiday booked but there’s fat chance of that at the moment.

Oh and DT78, loving my new 808 🙂 Though do give it a thorough check if you get one, a club mate had to send a couple back due to QC issues. Not sure what’s going on at Zipp but I’ve heard a few grumbles along those lines.

I do love a good “what road wheel” thread 🙂

montag
    Free Member

So, my dream sets:

A set of Shamal Utras for training and crits (got)
    A set of Bora Ultras for longer races (need)
    a set of vintage Boras for the Raleigh (want)

If I ever get a TT bike, this will significantly expand.

DT78
    Free Member

Don’t confuse me more! C24s were for hilly rides like the dragon. I hope to get to the Alpsnext year too. Heard scary things about carbon rims and alp descents.

Shiny bikes have decent prices on zips at the.moment.

globalti
    Free Member

Really, forget the baloney about aero; they may look bling but it doesn’t make a difference until you are going racingy fast and it’s a ball-ache when you ride past a gate and the wind hits them.

I’ve had over five years of use out of my Ksyrium SLs, they are a superb stiff strong wheel and still running as true as the day I got them. On them I’ve got Veloflex Open Corsas (very similar to Vittorias) with latex inners. Punctures are no more frequent than with butyl tubes, but they ride superbly and grip like hell and the bike feels incredibly “planted” on the road. Good enough for me.

Veloflex Corsas are £52 a pair from Ribble.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Baloney about aero? Really? You don’t need to be going that fast to get the benefit. If your rides average out around 20mph you’ll definitely get a lot of benefit.

C24. I’d gather the pennies from down the back of the sofa and get the Mavic R-Sys SLR instead. Only a grand at probikekit 🙂

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

USE carbons half price at Rutland Cycling at the mo (so, still 650 quid).

Toying with a set of aero 4.5s to complement my 1300g LBs…

mrblobby
    Free Member

The USE ones seem to review and test quite well too, certainly for 650 quid.

Jamz
    Free Member

People seem to be saying a lot of different things so I’ll give you my personal experience seeing as I have tried a few different wheels in the last year. I was in your position looking for a decent wheel upgrade and this is what I have learned.

Bottom line: spend a bit and get something aero and reputable, but certainly don’t buy at full retail price – look for good condition second hand or maybe heavily reduced new if you cba with buying second hand. Use latex tubes and a good quality tyre (I’m very much enjoying my 25mm Schwalbe Ones at the moment). Look for something with a wide rim as this will give a good ride (e.g. 23mm and above)

I currently own 3 wheelsets: Reynolds Strike SGLs (62mm full carbon clincher), Fuclrum Racing Zeros (lightweight factory built clincher) and some H plus son Archetypes on Powertap/Aviee (handbuilt wheels from Strada for general riding).

The Reynolds are absolutely lovely to ride, I would pick them every single time over the Racing Zeros or the handbuilts (except if its wet, then I would use the handbuilts, or if I was going to Wales, then I might pick the Zeros). They hold speed beautifully and despite the fact that they are not light (probably about 1800g for the set – about 300g more than the Racing Zeros) they are a joy to use (I live in North Bucks by the way, not anywhere super hilly, I’m regularly in the Chilterns though, so not super flat either). It takes noticeably less effort to maintain a given speed and sprinting or going anywhere quick is just fantastic. Even riding slowly is a pleasure in fact. I take my Strikes out on 14mph recovery rides just because I enjoy riding them so much!

They are also very comfortable. The Reynolds are kept on a Specialized Tarmac SL3 S Works – not a bike that you would usually describe as forgiving and yet they managed to achieve a level of ride comfort that is only just below my steel Genesis Equilibrium 853. I have no problem riding the S Works all day, or several days in a row, and I think a good part of that is down to wheels. (plus latex tubes and good tyres obviously)

I picked up the Strikes on eBay for 700 quid, new and unused. I think they usually retail at about 1100. If you’re not quite ready to spend that much yet, get some handbuilts. I’d go for something like a Pancetti SL23 on a good quality hub but dont spend more that 350/400 because otherwise you may as well save a bit more and get something really good. If and when I upgrade it will be a pair of Reynolds Aero 58/72s (Reynolds premium carbon clincher, but nearly twice the price).

The disadvantage of the Strikes is they are sphincter clenching-ly bad in the wet but apart from that I have no problems. Some might say the weight is a disadvantage, and it might be if I lived in the Peaks, but I think its minor and not something I really notice at all. I’m 66kg and enjoy riding up hills too – there’s a certain satisfaction to be found in powering your 62mm wheels uphill past the rest of the club 😀 You wouldn’t want them as your only wheelset tho, you need something cheap and aluminium to fall back on when the weather turns.

The Racing Zeros are not really worth owning for me to be honest, I should sell them, but I will use them in a few hill climbs at the end of the season. They are lovely and stiff though, great for sprinting up climbs or just for making the Equilibrium into a bit more of a lively ride for summer.

Rambled on a wee bit there but I hope some of that is useful for you and others…

m1kea
    Free Member

OK as we seem to be stuck in bling mode, I’ll bite.

All my CF wheels are tubs so only come out for TT’s (rare these days) or extra special high days and holidays (brake blocks swapped out).

Easton Aero90 TT’s – 46mm rims and the front catches the wind very easily. – Freaked my boss out when he rode them t’other week.

Xentis 4 spokes – don’t catch the wind and not much difference in weight. Look unusual but fairly comfy. The hubs are fab and roll forever.

Corima Aeros – not ridden for a few years now but the low spoke count equals a lot of flexing

Corima disk, it’s a disk so enough said

Tune / Pacenti handbuilts. Probably the nicest conventional wheels I’ve ever owned. Noisy freehub

DA 7850 C24 – nice and light but pretty flexy, especially the front.

2004 Zondas have been bomb proof but now tired.

Numerous other Shimano, Mavic and Hope concoctions. – Bog standard road wheels in various iterations.

dickie
    Free Member

eleven sprocket
    Ceramic Bearings, decal colour choice.

I got a pair of Carbonal 38mm carbon rims on Novatec Hubs with X-ray spokes for £550 from Spokeman Wheels. 1420g. I run them tubeless with stans tape & sealent.

tarquin
    Free Member

I’ve been riding Zipp 303s, Enve 65 Classics, cheap Fulcrum racing 7s and Shimano r500 and Hplusson mated to powertap as above.

Best hubs are the DT Swiss 240, the Zipp 188 hub had too much lateral play so you have to run the rear brake really wide. Better on the new hubs I believe. Both are carbon rims (Enve and Zipp) so wet braking not so good. The Zipps were awesome all round, but the Enves fly at 45kmh+ and the rear wheel is super stiff so good race wheel.

Hplusson good comfortable rims, would consider a custom build with them again but not super light.

Personally if you don’t want tubs you’re not racing and can only afford one set of wheels I’d get C24 or Zeros. Pretty light, clincher and alloy so good in wet too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Yes think the new Zipps come with much improved hubs and they’ve beefed up the bearing size.

Got some archetype on ulterga hubs that I need to get built up for this winter.

Really don’t know what I’d go for if I was to be buying new fast wheels. If I really had to choose now it’d probably be 404 clinchers just because I could race and fair weather train on them. Extra weight over tubs not really a concern and I think the extra cost is offset by the fact that they’d get ridden a lot more. Also some really nice open clinchers out there now.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

The JRA Jawbone Lite Wheel set looks ridiculously good value at £380.

Pancenti SL23 Rims (2015 version), Bitex Hubs, 1342g.

Could be the wheels for me.

tarquin
    Free Member

Maybe it’s just my wheel but my Hplusson rim doesn’t have a hole in it so the box section fills up with water…. 5 minutes with a drill needed I think.

Tweakie
    Free Member

40mph, do you have an email address I can ping some pictures to?
    I have a set of these that I’m about to sell…..
    listed here with REALLY bad photo – http://www.freeborn.co.uk/reynolds-thirty-two?gclid=Cj0KEQjwl6GuBRD8x4G646HX7ZYBEiQADGnzupQwEGYK3mnPHY5NT9UwoL2XGeaA2PbVlV3vz8XmHqgaAtid8P8HAQ
    at £1779 in clincher choice.

I am selling mine at £800. Which, whilst I appreciate is not cheap, they’re cheap for what they are. I have done twelve miles on them.

I’m a 90kg rider, so I’ve basically decided that my 2005 Zipp 404 Clydesdales (extra spokes for heavier riders) are the best set for my riding, despite them being 10years old.

The Reynolds are 1400g.
    If anyone is interested in them, please drop me an email (email is in my profile) and i’ll pick it up almost instantly.

hammyuk
    Free Member

burnsybhoy – Member
    The JRA Jawbone Lite Wheel set looks ridiculously good value at £380.

Pancenti SL23 Rims (2015 version), Bitex Hubs, 1342g.

Could be the wheels for me.

I’d be paying £249.99 and getting the same rims on Icon Ultra hubs with cartridge bearings and the same weight!

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/pacenti-sl23-icon-ultra-11speed-wheelset.htm

nick1962
    Free Member

Or get an extra 15% off at Superstar with this months code FBWHEELAUG and pay £212 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Pimp my wheels! (Roadie content)’ is closed to new replies.