Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pimp my stairs
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t like the hall stairs and landing area in our house. It’s a three storey house with hallway and kitchen on the ground floor, bedroom and living room on the middle and two other beds on top. All the bedrooms and living room have oak flooring, and the hallway/kitchen is tiled. The stairs tho are the typical new house white gloss, and the carpet is beige.

Of course, what we should’ve done when we did the room flooring was do the landings too and then get some wood covering for the stairs, but to do that now would mean a join (and probably different wood) between the living rooms and landing. I was thinking some kind of natural carpet (sisal etc) on the stairs but I can’t imagine how it’d fit in.

Tell me about your nice staircases…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I don’t like the hall stairs and landing area in our house.

Liberate yourself from these concerns. Once you start caring you about this sort of thing you will never be happy again.

😉

Gary_M
    Free Member

You have a landing area in your house? Cool, what’s it for planes, helicopters, what.

GrahamS

I think these are a pretty good idea for stairs:

Turn Your Staircase into a Set of Drawers (LifeHacker)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

That is quite possibly one of the best inventions I’ve ever seen…

mrsflash
    Free Member

That is genius.

blu-tone
    Free Member

MrsF & RudeBoy are you bonkers ?

Just imagine the view as I (fresh from the shower) search for a fresh pair of trolleys !!!!! 😯

mrsflash
    Free Member

no no, think of the shoe storage!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That’s just some kind of lifestyle crap straight out of a Terence Conran book telling you to buy it to see how to live in small spaces so I don’t have to, yaw!

molgrips, from experience, sisal looks great between oak floors – two natural products tend to complement one another that way. Just go for a fairly tight weave, nothing too hairy (just bringing to mind the other thread about pubes, lol) – it’s very hard wearing too.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I was thinking more of being able to store tiny planes and hekelopters in the little drawers, actually.

Blu-tone; I’ve seen a pic of you with a box on your head. I do not wish for my already tormented mind to be filled with images of you bollock-naked, with yer cobbly-bobblers dangling about all over the place…

GrahamS

Just imagine the view as I (fresh from the shower) search for a fresh pair of trolleys !!!!!

“Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow,
    And did you know
    Your stairway lies on the whispering wind.”

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

How about fitting them in to your local area? I’d suggest ripping the carpet out, leaving the grippers in, accessorising with a wrecking ball and maybe thinking about getting some DSS types in to lounge around on them in a few weeks, with a view to eventually urine soaking them and shovelling discarded hypodermics in the corners.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those stairs are genius.

Darcy – are you talking about sisal OVER oak floors ie with a bit of oak around the edge visible, or can you get sisal fitted like ‘normal’ carpet and being between the rooms? Cos that’d be ace if it were possible.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Why, your house price is dropping according to yourself – why devalue it any more ?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No, you can get it as a fitted carpet – we had wood floors in two rooms, quarry tiles in another and fitted sisal from a “you-couldn’t-get-more-middle-class” shop on the landing and stairs area connecting them all – it was a three storey townhouse type affair too. Always looked fine to me – all the natural materials worked well. The sisal was a very tight weave, sort of mid brown colour…similar shade to natural oak but obviously, looks completely different.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cool 🙂 I am definitely liking this idea for replacing the crappy carpet we have. It’s only lasted a couple of years and is already looking really tired.

Is your stuff rough on bare feet?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pimp my stairs’ is closed to new replies.