Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pimp my flaps!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You couldn’t resist, could you? Sadly, it’s a rather more mundane topic than the title might promise.

The mudguards on my gnarmac bike are really rather good. Totally rattle free, and look damned good too, both of which are rare….

However, as I suspected might be the case, the front is a little too short. Only by a few inches, but still short. So, am thinking of putting a flap on it.

So, let’s talk about flaps, baby!

Is there anything I should be looking at other than a Gilles Berthoud?

qwerty
    Free Member
    simondbarnes

I’d either go for one of those or make one out of a plastic milk bottle.

As for the flaps in qwerty’s link – looks rather painful :-/

IHN

Out of interest, what are the rattle free flap holders?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Out of interest, what are the rattle free flap holders?

The mudguards? Specialized “Plug and Play Fenders”. I could have run “normal” mudguards, but the fitting and set up of these is so neat and tidy. Also. easy to remove as and when needed.

MussEd
    Free Member

What about Brooks?

STATO
    Free Member

That guard is so short any of the leather ones will not be long enough and more importantly, be too wide at the point were you are most likely to get toe overlap. You might get away with with a long SKS rubber flap from the longboards but depends what width yours are and what width flap you can get.

This one is from the 35mm versions, they did a 45mm one but not listed here.

StirlingCrispin

I use 250ml lube bottles.

I’ve also used washing up liquid bottles. I’ve seen milk cartons (too thin), fertiliser bags (flappy) and car footwell mats (there’s some solid rubber).

STATO
    Free Member

This is a good demonstration of how low you should go. It shows the back wheel but you can imagine the angles applied to the front. Get it low and save your feet and chainset from a soaking 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Geekiest infographic EVAH! 🙂

Thanks for those suggestions, though, STATO. That SKS one looks pretty tidy.

Oh, and don’t want something bodged like a milk carton.

Suppose another option might be to ask someone to make one up for me, know a few folks in the tack/saddle making world. I’d imagine someone could do a good leather one to order.

Decisions, decisions.

therevokid
    Free Member

use plastic … leather is heavy and will make the guard shake
    and vibrate … trust me, bin there 😉

maccruiskeen
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pimp my flaps!’ is closed to new replies.