Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pilot to check his arm more securely attached after it falls off during landing
  • wwaswas

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2012789

You’d think as a commercial airline pilot your arm falling off the control yoke would be something you’d be *very* keen to avoid, not a thing that needed a bit more effort to get right.

A report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said the captain was manually flying the aircraft at the time but, as he made the final manoeuvre, ‘his prosthetic limb became detached from the yoke clamp, depriving him of control of the aircraft’.

It said although the pilot had thought about getting his co-pilot to take control, he decided that due to time pressures and the challenging conditions, his best course of action was to move his right hand from the power levers on to the yoke to regain control.

“He did this, but with power still applied and possibly a gust affecting the aircraft, a normal touchdown was followed by a bounce, from which the aircraft landed heavily,” said the report.

The AAIB said in future the captain had said he would be more cautious about checking his prosthetic lower left arm was securely attached to the clamp used to fly the aircraft, with the latching device in place.

brakes
    Free Member

what a humerus story.

midlifecrashes

Forewarned is forearmed.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Seriously? The fact that he only has one arm is not considered a problem for being a commercial pilot?

I’m guessing it must have been an airbus and therefore fly by wire. Can’t imagine that being possible in a 737!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Read that last night 🙂 . ‘Aye, sorry boss, I’ll check my arm is attached more securely in future’

slowoldman

Pull the other one.

flowerpower
    Free Member

Pull the other one.

This other one? http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scared-of-flying-1

😉

shooterman

That’s a scary story. I flew into Belfast City Airport on Saturday. You come in over Belfast Lough. On our flight the pilot basically had to perform a U turn to line up with the runway which involved some very steep turns.

I hate to think what could have happened if the pilot had lost even partial control.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pilot to check his arm more securely attached after it falls off during landing’ is closed to new replies.