Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature cheddar
  • neninja
    Free Member

Noooooooo it must have been on offer and my wife has bought a big block. I thought I’d man up and give it another try but it’s like eating vaguely cheese like cardboard (except I suspect paper based products probably have more flavour).

Why oh why didn’t she buy Cathedral City (or pretty much any other mature cheddar)?

molgrips
    Free Member

Colliers’ ftw.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

What’s with the white crunchy bits in these crappy cheeses these days. Nasty.

neninja
    Free Member

Out of preference I like the Lake District one.

(But I’d choose a blue cheese or a delicious soft cheese like Pie D’Angloys over hard cheeses every time)

Woody
    Free Member

PIlgrims choice is bloody awful. Got a nice one from Lidl last week it was extra mature but there were also two others, vintage and reserve (or something similar) from the same company at the same price. Baffling!

Drac

Find a good cheese shop selling independent products and ditch the mass produced crap.

Northumberland Cheese Co is well worth hunting out.

molgrips
    Free Member

What’s with the white crunchy bits in these crappy cheeses these days

Those bits are called tyrosine, and they’re actually amino acid clusters that form with age

binners

I generally regard chedder as ‘cooking cheese’, only one up from a cheese single. But neninja is right. This is surprisingly good

parkedtiger
    Free Member

binners – Member

I generally regard chedder as ‘cooking cheese’, only one up from a cheese single. But neninja is right. This is surprisingly good

I can literally see one of the herds that provide milk for that cheddar as I’m typing this. I think it’s an excellent cheese (but not as available as you’d expect around here).

trickydisco
    Free Member

Best cheddar ever

thread closed

donsimon
    Free Member

Open the pack.
    Throw it in the back of the fridge.
    Return in 3-4 months.
    Cut off the covering of mould.
    Try it again.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Black Bomber is a nice strong cheddar (reminds me of good Canadian) but flavour-wise it has to be Montgomery or Keens.

mattbee

Unfortunately for me, pretty much the only cheese I can eat is cheddar or mozzarella as every other type triggers a migraine. Pilgrims Choice is crap though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

and can someone tell why endorsement by a pilgrim is seen as a good thing? Very odd.

molgrips
    Free Member

Cheddar is in Somerset, not far from Glastonbury which was one of the biggest pilgrimage sites in Europe until it got dissolved. Maybe that’s got something to do with it.

Wells is also not far, a place with a major Cathedral hence Cathedral City too, I’d guess.

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

Dorset Blue Vinny, now theres a cheese

vinnyeh

Keens, Montgomery’s or Quickes are good cheddars, and fairly widely available.

Seems to have been a proliferation of nasty cheddars on supermarket shelves in the last couple of years – I count pilgrims choice and Lake District amongst them- categorised by them being on semi permanent offer.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

vinnyeh – Member
    Quickes

One to keep an eye out for, thanks.

theotherjonv

Find a good cheese shop selling independent products and ditch the mass produced crap

+1

There are some decent mature cheddars among the mass produced ranks as long as your benchmark is mild cheddar, and you want to put it in a sandwich or grate it onto a baked potato. But to taste a real cheddar, which has a depth of flavour way beyond the mass produced ones, get yourself to a local cheesmonger or sort some online from somewhere like Neal’s Yard Dairy in Borough market.

And as for Red Leicester – I’d always discounted this as being vaguely cheese flavoured wax, but then I tasted a farmhouse made Sparkenhoe and wow…..

http://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/cheeses/Sparkenhoe%20Red%20Leicester.pdf

ononeorange

Hmmmm. Borough Market is less than a mile from here….hmmmm.

Maybe it was the pilgrim’s choice of soap or something?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Im all one for delis and cheesemongers for cheese i want to enjoy with biscuits and wine – not wasting good cheese in cooking . Made mac and cheese last night with pilgrims extra mature as it was cheap and it was just fine.

Tastes very chalky on its own though

molgrips
    Free Member

Can you get Colliers in England btw?

And cooking with good cheese is not a waste. It makes whatever you are making taste a lot better. Esp if you are grilling it on top of something like a Shepherd’s pie.

theotherjonv

cooking with good cheese is not a waste

Not a waste per se, but is even better just served as is.

ononeorange. get down there and get some for the weekend. Some Montgomery’s cheddar, some Stichelton, and then get them to recommend something else (they’ll suggest a few to taste as well, I’m sure). You won’t regret the trip.

binners

I’m yet to be convinced there is such a thing as ‘bad’ cheese. Everyfings jus’ relative, innit?

The bestest….

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m yet to be convinced there is such a thing as ‘bad’ cheese.

Have you been to America?

Not a waste per se, but is even better just served as is.

Er.. I was going to serve sheperd’s pie for dinner love, but instead here’s some cheese.

xcgb
    Free Member

Bad Cheese?

vinnyeh

binners

Have you been to America?

Ah, yes. A good point, well put. The land that taste forgot. Going off on a bit of a tangent, what’s the best cracker? I appear to have become addicted to these…

MrOvershoot

molgrips – Member
    Can you get Colliers in England btw?

Yes

http://www.collierscheese.com/Where-To-Buy/

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure that Lake District one has literally no connection whatsoever to the Lake District.

binners

I don’t know about that Horatio, but according to the website:

The Lake District Cheese Company brand is officially the UK’s best cheddar, after a triumphant win at the Nantwich International Cheese Show, the largest cheese show in the world.

So there you have it!

Drac

Another amazing Red Leicester is Thomas Hoe Stevenson’s

theotherjonv

Er.. I was going to serve sheperd’s pie for dinner love, but instead here’s some cheese.

or…

‘Would you like to have this Shepherd’s pie with some cheese on top love, or shepherd’s pie followed by the cheese?’

‘Cheese on top if it’s cheap supermarket cheddar, but if you’ve got some of that Montgomery’s cheddar as suggested by that hugely knowledgable and distinctly sexy Theotherjonv, then of course I’d like it as afters. Why are you even asking?’

binners

Difficult to argue with that theotherjonv. Well put!

There’s also the cheese on toast sub-clause too. No point in wasting good cheese on it, when you’re intending to obliterate it with Worcester sauce anyway. In fact, Edam has even been called into play for this

molgrips
    Free Member

‘Would you like to have this Shepherd’s pie with some cheese on top love, or shepherd’s pie followed by the cheese?’

Actually, can I have the nice cheese on top and a piece of it afterwards please? On account of eating grilled cheese topped mash being a rather different experience to a piece of cheese; as you know this is part of the beauty of the stuff.

And good cheese MAKES cheese on toast, what are you on about?

theotherjonv

Actually, can I have the nice cheese on top and a piece of it afterwards please?

“No, you heathen. If you want cheese on top use the ****ing Pilgrim’s Choice, not my best ****ing Montgomery’s”

molgrips
    Free Member

But the nice cheese makes the pie better…. unless.. are we so poor that we can only afford a little bit of nice cheese?

You need to be honest with me dear.. is everything ok at work? Are you actually still employed not just going down the job centre all day like the guy in the Full Monty?

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Aldi British Extra Mature Cheddar. I’m into it like a tramp on chips.

theotherjonv

You need to be honest with me dear.. is everything ok at work? Are you actually still employed not just going down the job centre all day like the guy in the Full Monty?

“Well….. I’ve been working out how to break this to you…… but I’ve run up a massive debt due to my habit, and now we can only afford Aldi British extra mature. I’ve been repackaging it into Montgomery’s paper, and getting away with it up till now because all you do with it is grate it onto baked potatoes. But now you’re actually going to eat some properly, I’m about to be rumbled. I owe thousands to the lady at the waitrose delicatessen and if I don’t pay up she’s going to pickle my olives and debone my chicken drumstick. If only I’d listened to Theotherjonv and saved the good cheese for eating and the mass produced cooking cheddar for cooking, we wouldn’t be in the mess”

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature cheddar’ is closed to new replies.