Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Pila too extreme for non freeriders? Alternatives? Campsites?
  • moe_szyslak
    Free Member

Booking a trip for four of us for next weekend. We only decided to go this week, and Morzine/Les Gets was the preference.

Due to the last minute nature of ut all we can’t find a single free campsite in the are at all so looking at alternatives.

Pila sunds great, but I am worried its a bit extreme, we are not really freeriders. Are there any other good ideas, maybe Tignes or 3 valleys? Any recomendations On campsites also would be great.

Moe

stevomcd
    Free Member

If you’re not into DH, I wouldn’t go to Pila. It’s great, but you really need a big bike to enjoy it to the full.

How about the Tarentaise area? Campsites just a short pedal from the Funicular to Les Arcs.

neilc1881
    Free Member

Pila is great, cheap lift and campsite compared to Les Gets. We stayed in a campsite that I’ve no idea what it was called but as you come down the valley into Pila from the Grandes Bornands it’s just off the main road on a hairpin. Cracking campsite which I believe was occupied by a wandering troupe of Italian pikies who were very welcoming, sang loud operatic karaoke late into the night and got properly dressed up into Sunday best for mass. They also adopted our then 3 year old and tried to feed her tripe or coffee at every available opportunity. Also worth taking your own toilet paper, and ear plugs. But I’d recommend it! Trails are excellent and there are lots of options, but a lot less than portes du soleil.

Fluff66
    Free Member

We have camped at Les Marmottes in Essert Romand 3 times now. Last time in 2006

It is down a valley off the roundabout halfway between Morzine and Les Gets

Short painful climb/push up to the roundabout in the morning – then freewheel all the way down the main road to Morzine

At the end of the day, catch the last lift up in Morzine and do the XC bit over to Les Gets, then pretty much downhill along road all way to campsite

Owner is called Max – nice guy – but he’ll get racked off with you if you make a lot of noise later on

It’s a fairly busy campsite so you’re gonna be camped near others. Atmosphere is pretty good and there is a (noisy) bread delivery every morning at about 8am

bland

A new and upcoming resort is Beaufortain in the Savoire.

[/url]

We passed by last year and went to Areches which the DH was playful and new but there was an ace descent to Beaufortain like teh pila-Aosta one, however it seems they are aiming to be more like the PDS and focusing on linking trails and XC stuff.

Worth a look if you like going up AND down anyhow as its generally off the radar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Pila too extreme for non freeriders? Alternatives? Campsites?’ is closed to new replies.