• This topic has 18 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by M6TTF.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pike/Yari – how many tokens are you running?
  • stevied
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of the new Yari forks so, as a base, was just wondering how many tokens people are running/recommendations.

I’m 14.5 stone, riding a 190mm Liteville for a bit of everything from normal XC type stuff to DH days.
    I know the bike is overkill for most of my riding but I’ve only got one bike..

So, how many are you running?

wilko1999
    Free Member

14.5 stone here too, riding a Spitfire with 150mm Pikes. I’ve ended up with 3 tokens and 25% sag. Pretty plush over smaller stuff and ramps up nicely on big hits. Tried one at a time until I found a good balance.

stewartc
    Free Member

Running the same bike to you but with 180mm Lyrics, nearly same weight (90kg) but recently removed the sole token as I felt that it just wasn’t required and that running at 30% sag seemed to be the ‘sweet’ spot for me.
    Likewise had one token on my 150mm Pike fitted to my ‘trail’ bike, an SB5c, but again removed it as I found that I just didn’t need it and that 25% sag seemed to work for me.

doubleu
    Free Member

160mm Pike RTC3, 11st10, 1 token and 20% sag. Medium/fast rebound. Works great for me.

legend
    Free Member

Remember the number of tokens required varies by travel. So someone that uses 1 token at 160mm might use 2 tokens at 150mm and 3 at 140mm

lardman
    Free Member

18stone, 2 tokens in my Pike, on a 150mm front and back trail bike.
    Seems about right, although i dont bottom the fork very often. I dont like too much dive, so i’m happy with this.

mintimperial

11 stone on 160mm Pikes at 30% sag, no tokens, 3/4 clicks LSC, not certain on rebound exactly but fairly fast. Tried it with tokens but I seem to get on better without.

jimw
    Free Member

90kg in my kit, 160mm 27.5 Pikes, one token at the moment, might try a second to see how it goes. I have the rebound set quite fast-can’t remember quite how many clicks sorry

johnw1984
    Free Member

14.10 stone here. I have 3 Tokens with about 100psi (25% sag), or thereabouts. Oh and it’s on a Yari 🙂

220si
    Free Member

95kg

601 with 2016 Lyriks with no tokens @ 70psi

A fair bit of lsc and this seems to be working well, and seems to be nice and supple without the tokens

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

80kg and no tokens in a 150 travel Yari . Isn’t the Yari designed with the compression damping to not need as many bottomless tokens as a Pike ? If so then comparisons between the two are worthless .

deviant
    Free Member

I must be old fashioned because I buy a fork, set the recommended pressure/sag and ride….haven’t had the need for tokens yet….maybe I’m doing something wrong and not buying into the hype.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, being able to adjust the spring curve is purely hype. Next you know they’ll have adjustable rebound damping and put some silly pictures by the knob so you can go more warm or cold blooded…

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the info chaps. I’ll give them a couple of runs without and see how they go. Mine are the 180mm’s too

wilko1999
    Free Member

Egg-forking-zactly chief

legend
    Free Member

deviant – Member

I must be old fashioned because I buy a fork, set the recommended pressure/sag and ride….haven’t had the need for tokens yet….maybe I’m doing something wrong and not buying into the hype.

Given that those recommended pressures aren’t always what you’d call accurate, you’re not off to the best start.

BillOddie

140mm 29er Pike on the front of a Chromag Rootdown Hardtail.
    102kg in my pants.

4 Tokens, would be tempted to try 5 if I had another one.

Adding tokens means you can set the fork up nicely plush off the top but ramps up nicely through it’s travel, which in my opinion is a game changer on a hardtail.

chiefgrooveguru

The thing is you can’t really compare between different Pikes/Lyriks/Yaris because the positive spring volume varies with wheel size and travel (although the travel kind of cancels itself out) and the negative spring volume doesn’t change with travel although really it should.

The negative spring is bigger on the Lyrik and smaller on the Pike, so the Lyrik better suits longer travel and the Pike shorter (which makes sense as Lyriks are normally 160-180 and Pikes 120-160). Not sure about the Yari (which I thought was just a Lyrik with a cheaper damper but maybe there’s more difference?)

I have two Pikes – 160mm on the Spitfire (140mm rear with a CCDBA), 130mm on my Zero AM (hardtail). Both bikes are running pretty much the same sag on the fork, about 20%. But the 160mm fork is at only ~75psi whilst the 130mm fork is at ~100psi, which I believe is down to the larger negative to positive spring ratio with the shorter travel version (I’ve tried less pressure but it feels wallowy). I’m about 12.5 stone of moderately fast rider.

On the 160mm fork I went 0, 1, 2, 1 with the tokens, and sag varying from 15-30% before settling at one token and 20% sag. The 130mm fork came with two tokens already in it and although to my hands it sometimes feels like it ramps up a bit too much when I ride harder through my feet it feels good. Bottoms out when I huck but that’s because there’s no squish at the back.

I was really surprised how much firmer the 130mm fork feels when set up right, and how much plusher the 160mm is – I didn’t expect the 30mm difference to be so significant. I can thus see why some riders are going to 170 or 180mm up front for more aggro riding. Now I’ve got tuned into the 130mm ones I’m finding they balance the hardtail well, their firmer feel complementing the rigid rear.

M6TTF
    Free Member

got two tokens in my 150 pike, about 75kg on the bike. think I’m gonna try dropping the pressure a little more

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pike/Yari – how many tokens are you running?’ is closed to new replies.