Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pikey chain lube
  • properbikeco
    Free Member

I know this has probably been done to death but what do people recommend for this?

Is mineral chainsaw oil still the best suggestion or is there another economical alternative?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I ended up with a spare 20L of gearbox oil (it only comes in 25L drums-specific auto gearbox stuff) so I’m determined to use the rest up on something, so chains it is. Seems to be working well so far – but it does attract gunk more than my favourite Purple Extreme.

Also TJ used to recommend a wax in a “biscuit tin sized portion” that you melted and it seemed to last years.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

As per various recommendations including chain makers, car gearbox oil, the thicker the better. Comma EP85W-140 GL-5 £5 per litre from Wilco.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cfinnimore
    Free Member

TJ also recommended being an rshollen, which coincidentally, also lasts for life.

Alternatively, warehouse jobs = forklift. Shazam.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

cfin… I’m confused. But then I saw this and now I’m jumping to conclusions:

cfinnimore – Member
    Some nice person just gave me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12.

Schoolnight.

See you in hell. Slainte, STW!

Enjoy!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Couldashoulda, the keyboard will be retired promptly before I arrive to an inbox of moderations in the morning.

😀

Ambrose

Gearbox oil here, mixed with some random oil found in a skip at work, possibly for a vacuum pump. Who knows? It’s slippery and oily and it seems to work. I’m too pragmatic nowadays to be concerning myself with using the ‘correct’ uber- expensive niche oil on a chain that gets exposed to all sorts of nasty conditions. I just keep it clean and lubed.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

cfinnimore- dont stop now- we need confusion, conflict, entertainment, …!

avdave2

I ended up with a spare 20L of gearbox oil (it only comes in 25L drums-specific auto gearbox stuff) so I’m determined to use the rest up on something,

I use gearbox oil on my hub geared bike and it does attract the dirt but I’ve had 4 years from a chain and only had to replace it as the sprocket was worn. I started with a litre and probably have half of it left after 6 years so you should be good for 240 years or so.

I have also considered recycled oil from the kitchen but I believe the Rohloff seals don’t like it. Not sure if that is true but i don’t want to risk it.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

you should be good for 240 years or so

Whooohooo!! I’d better get a younger wife then. 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

3in1 here and it has served me well for 15yrs. It’s best to clean your chain after every ride so using a nice thin out that penetrates all he chain’s nooks and crannies seems to work well.

avdave2

Whooohooo!! I’d better get a younger wife then.

Or buy a lot of bikes!

And I should add that I never actually clean the chain, just an occasional wipe over and then more gearbox oil. One of the best bits of running hub gears or single speed.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Either way, wife v1.0 wont be happy!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

I’ll be here…

But not here.

Kind of Where’s Drunk Waldo.

Pedros SynLub is good too.

ratherbeintobago

Also TJ used to recommend a wax in a “biscuit tin sized portion” that you melted and it seemed to last years.

That would be Putoline. Tried it, but the idea of melting a large tin of paraffin wax on a gas hob made me sweat cold. Also, left a lot of sticky blobby residue on the chain, which may be because I wasn’t doing it properly.

Use some Finish Line stuff in a green bottle now.

Andy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pikey chain lube’ is closed to new replies.