Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pikes stanchion marks
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Noticed a few “not that nice” marks on my 409 coil pike stanchions.

Well at least I can’t let any air out but, could sh1te get in or grease or fork oil get out?

marks are more than half way up one the left stanchion.

Whats the STW opinion.

AlasdairMc

are they scratches or just where the stanchions have rubbed? If scratches, you can clean them up using Wet and Dry and clear nail varnish.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

great idea (does that really work?)

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

In theory it should but more of a bodge than a solution because you’re rubbing the coating off that stops stickshion your best bet would be to replace the crown steerer stanchions which isn’t that cheap but cheaper than buying a new set of Rock Shox forks…

james-o
    Free Member

i have coil pikes with a nice deep scratch halfway down the stanchions. bit of super fine WET wet and dry to de-burr, bit of varnish on top, then t-cut to smooth. been fine for over a year. well sealed forks. may be different with air fork’s seals tho.

Not much use after the event, but I have some old Manitou X-Verts and some Fox Floats that collectively have endured over 12 years of Peak District grinding paste.

Neither have as much as a mark. Even if I don’t wash the bike post ride, I always wipe the dirt away from the stanchions and whenever they have been cleaned give them a coating of silicone spray.

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Do you service your pikes often?

enfht
    Free Member

Those crappy fox stantions always wear out too quickly, oh hang on… 🙄

racing_ralph
    Free Member

How do damaged stanchions cause that many problems – only lube oil/grease can come out. Air is inside the piston (inside the stanchion) – surely the scratch is the equivalent of scratching the outside of a syringe barrel??

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

How do damaged stanchions cause that many problems – only lube oil/grease can come out. Air is inside the piston (inside the stanchion) – surely the scratch is the equivalent of scratching the outside of a syringe barrel??

A worn/damaged stanction allows dirt and water to get inside the lowers easier. If wont affect the air, but will mean a more frequent service schedule…not such a problem if you dont maintain anyway or like shitty feeling forks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pikes stanchion marks’ is closed to new replies.