Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pikes lower leg services problems
  • Fabdad
    Free Member

Thought it was time to give my 160 Pikes a service but run into a couple of problems. Firstly having cleaned and removed the forks from the bike I released the air pressure from the air valve as per the MBR video but whereas their fork retracted as the pressure released mine just stayed where they were. Secondly I can’t undo the bottom bolt on the rebound side, other side great, but bolt on rebound side is just spinning so I can’t get the bolt out to pull the lowers off. Any ideas?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Re the fork not compressing as air released. Is this where they let the air out and tell you to compress the fork? If so, ignore it. You don’t need to compress it at all. In fact it’s a bad idea and has caused some people problems where a vacuum has been created in the lowers, which counteracts the airspring and makes the fork ride low in its travel.

Sorry, can’t offer any usefull advise re the spinning foot nut.

scruff
    Free Member

Try compressing the fork whilst undoing the nut.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trusty

The bolt on my Pikes did the same when I tried to service them, returned to Fishers and replaced under warranty. No idea on the air spring, I’ve never let the air out when I’ve done a lowers service

Fabdad
    Free Member

Ta for the replies, tried compressing the fork but bolt still spins,seems to be common problem! Was hoping to sort it myself rather than send fork away!

LoCo
    Free Member

Don’t worry about the air spring not compressing, it’s the air in the negative chamber that makes it compress, the forks were probably fully extended leaving the transfer port open for the neg. chamber to discharge through.

Rebound nut, put the damper on full low speed comp and lockout setting, compress fork and turn the bolt at same time to release, it’s just that the threadlock on the bolt is creating more friction that the shaft is to the inside of the lowers so it’s spinning, failing that an air gun may spin it off, although take care with the bolt asit’s fairly soft Aluminium.
    HTH.

yetidave
    Free Member

with my old Rebas I need to crack the bolt with air pressure in, then before doing anything else drop the pressure. This overcame the bolt spinning thing..

Fabdad
    Free Member

Yetidave, I hadn’t tried that so that’s worth giving a go! Loco, if after I’ve tried everything and the bugger still won’t undo and I have to resort to drilling the head of the bolt off can I buy another bolt from yourselves? Cheers

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes you can buy a replacement bolt, but I’d avoid drill it as you risk damaging the damper itself, which will be very expensive to repair.
    Putting air in them isn’t going to make much difference to the damper as it has more travel than the air spring so won’t increase the resistance to rotation. Works well for air side bolts though

hainman
    Free Member

Fabdad I changed my air shaft from 150-160 and when following the Mbr video I too struggled when trying to compress my forks,after wracking my brain I thought I had borked my forks,then wondered if it was because the were lowering the travel from 140-130 and therefor the forks were less to compress,Eventually I pieced my forks back together and put my token in and put air pressure up and they seem fine

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pikes lower leg services problems’ is closed to new replies.