Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pikes and tokens – quick question…
  • wl
    Free Member

Will adding a second token to my Pikes mean that I can keep the softness, suppleness and small-bump sensitivity but make them ramp up more so they don’t bottom out on drop-offs and very steep trails? They feel great as I have them now (low psi, no compression and one token) but they bottomed out with a nasty thump yesterday on a 4-5 foot drop. Basically I need them a bit firmer deeper into the travel, but don’t want to lose their amazing sensitivity. Is another token the best way to go? Cheers.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Yes, just reset the sag, you won’t need quite as much air pressure.

creamegg
    Free Member

yes that’s what ive done. im running much lower psi than recommended by RS and although I use pretty much all the travel they’ve never bottomed out harshly.

freeridenick
    Free Member

Same happened to me, I run 2 tokens now and been better

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah most people I’ve asked seem to have settled on two tokens. I’m running one and a half, since the previous owner thought two was too many (and presumably one not enough). I’m not sure I agree with hacksaw tweaking of expensive forks, but it doesn’t seem to be causing problems.

I’m sure RockShox calibrate their shock pumps weirdly. I’ve never used more than about 75% of the recommended PSI. Just judge it by sag and feel.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’m using 2 tokens with about 25% sag. Nice and smooth, never bottomed out harshly, just sort of firms up to tell you you’re being stupid. I found that having the rebound a few clicks towards fast from the mid-point feels good too.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve ended up here: 25% sag + 2 tokens (60psi), LSC 7 clicks, Rebound 5 clicks.

Started out with no tokens, then one, then two, then one, then two. Sag has varied between 20% & 30%. Have had rebound slower and less low speed compression. The final setting seems to give the cornering grip I want and the right fore-aft balance when jumping – the extra low speed compression lets me preload harder as does the extra token, whilst the relatively low pressure keeps the front tyre tracking for good grip.

I think the extra spring progression means you can run less rebound damping because the rebound effectively slows down as the forks extend, so you get a good amount of pop when you push hard for takeoffs but you don’t get that annoying understeery push from the front trying to unload mid corner.

Sui
    Free Member

cheif your such a geek, but i like your thinking. How fat heavy are you kitted up, i’ve just put a token in my pikes on the spitty and it’s marvellous. I’m an obese 86kg’s kitted :wink:, so wondered if another token and reducing pressure may work more.. i had been struggling to get the pop i like..

chiefgrooveguru

Sui, I think too much! I’m about half a stone lighter than you, pure muscle of course. 😉 The shock on my Spitfire is right back at the base tune and Keith’s recommended 28% sag but it’s taken a bit of fiddling to get the fork to perform as well for both cornering and jumping. As long as I think the set-up is great then I ride pretty well – and when I don’t I descend into a spiral of useless mincing…

freeridenick
    Free Member

I only run 1 click of LSC, found them way to harsh with anything more.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

I’m about 100kg butt nekked and I’m running 75psi And Currently one token. Seems pretty good for all round ridinG including drops up to about 5ft. Also felt decent with 2 tokens in

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pikes and tokens – quick question…’ is closed to new replies.