Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pikes and Revs. Interchangeable air shafts, or keep them as they are?
  • tomhoward

As above really. I have a 140mm Rev RCT3 on my 5010, and don’t get me wrong, it’s ace, it’s just missing that little extra stiffness (stop it at the back), not to mention the charger damper, of the Pike (also RCT3) Thing is with the Pike having 10mm more travel, and I’m not averse to that, the bikes geo is pretty well spot on with 140mm (IMO, if you want to argue about it, take it elsewhere) and I don’t want to ruin that. (Napkin maths reckons I’ll get a .5deg slacker HA, and a few mm more WB and BB height, would I notice?)

So my question is 2 fold, has anyone gone from 140mm to 150mm on a 5010, and how do you find it?
    And…
    Can I (well, someone more mechanically minded than I) swap the air shafts to make a 140mm pike and a 150mm Rev?

teethgrinder

Don’t think the air shafts will swap – 32mm Revs vs 35mm Pikes.

Edit – the Rev shaft might fit in the Pikes

jairaj

you might notice the difference in handling. I could certainly notice when I used to run a u-turn Rev on my bikes.

A new air shaft isn’t too expensive for the Pike ~£40 so you could always drop it down if you felt you didn’t like it.

reedspeed
    Free Member

I went from a 140 sector to a 150 rev & can deffo tell the difference..fwiw. 😉

tomhoward

For better or worse?

jairaj

Depends what you are after.

Before my current frame I used have a few long travel hardtails frames. I was running some 120-150 travel u-turn revs.

For fast flowy single track I would wind the fork down to 120, for more technical trails I would use 140mm and for more rougher or DH I would wind it out to 150mm travel.

The 150mm felt great on rough downhill sections but would make the front end wonder a bit on steep climbs or make the bike feel slow on tight twisty stuff.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Hi Tom

Theyre certainly no worse,as the Sektors were pretty good,but apart from them lookin like Pikes,they don’t feel any different !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pikes and Revs. Interchangeable air shafts, or keep them as they are?’ is closed to new replies.