Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike Stanchion wear
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

I have some hugely bad stachion wear on the uppers in behind the arch
    Its taken the anodising right off down to the shiny silver tube behind.

Have cleaned out the wipers and lowers and replaced the oil and bunged a lot of sticky grease in around the inside of the wipers to get out tomorrow.

My question is this… from where and how much will I be stung for a new set of uppers for pikes? Will probably buy a pair of 2nd hand ones if i can find a pair in good condition anyway but was wondering about the replacement uppers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

]Just carry on using them. I would. It won't affect them much at all really. Just keep them lubes if they leak much but the damping oil is in a cartridge and this won't affect it. Same for the air if they are air sprung

As a matter of interest, how old are they and how often do you service them?

barrykellett
    Free Member

3 years old, I think, I have used them a lot for over 2 years, so I am not that upset that they have gone.
    I had the fear most people have about servicing their forks, so I only serviced them for the first time about 4 or 5 months ago. They were as good as dry in the lowers, so I dont think that did them any good. Had new Enduro seals for them but ended up putting them in a revelation fork I had as the pikes wipers looked grand, DOh!

I am going to do what you say and just keep using them and keeping the lower oil topped up. Will keep an eye on the wear too to make sure it isnt getting any worse. I imagine if they arent cleaned and lubed every ride or other ride that the dirt getting in may do the bushings in eventually too?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If the seals are good u can't see much problem TBH. Although the bushes are probably not that good by now anyway…..

Just run em into the floor, learn how to work on them to keep them going and then you'll know how to look after the next set better! 😉

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my revs got quite badly scratched. sent them to crc for a service (which they needed anyway) and they came back nicely sanded down to smooth. they're now on the gfs bike working well, after serving me for a year in that state previously.

i'd not worry unless oil is pissing out.

sharki
    Free Member

£200 for a set of stantions, i wore mine out the same and shafted the bushes because of it, a few OTB moments later i realised they were beyond reesonable repair for me, luckily i was given some revs by a very kind forum user which serves the purpose fine…

Learning now how too look after forks better.

grumm
    Free Member

I had some that looked this and were pissing quite a bit of oil every time you compressed the fork

I stripped them down and cleaned all the seals etc, then applied clear nail varnish to the worn bits – sanded it down til it was a smooth as possible and put them back together with fresh oil in the legs. Only used them a few times since but they don't seem to leak oil any more and feel fine.

Ambrose

Grumm- my revs are just the same. I'll try that too. Cheers

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

my fox forks have done that, exactly same place, need to get it sorted :/

GaryLake
    Free Member

You must be mistaken – this only happens to Fox forks, every pair, and within a single ride.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pike Stanchion wear’ is closed to new replies.