• This topic has 25 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Gunz.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Pike? Significantly better than Revelations.
  • Gunz
    Free Member

I currently have 120mm Revelations on my Stanton Slackline and was wondering if 150mm Pikes would be a massive improvement. My riding is a bit of everything but mainly Dartmoor and trail centres. If they are that much more accomplished I just wanted to get a set before it’s only Boost that are available.
    Cheers.

kayak23

Hmmm, I don’t know.

I have 160mm Pikes on my Rocket. They get thrashed everywhere and cope.

I have 150mm Revs on my hardtail. They get thrashed everywhere and cope.

Do I notice much difference? Can’t say I do.
    Very impressed with the Revs to be honest.

mildbore

Revs are a great fork but I find my Pike gives me much more control, which I think is down to stiffness and better damping. This translates to calmness when the ground gets choppy. Only really matters in bigger rock gardens though such as you get in the Dark Peak or Lakes. Local rides or the White Peak are fine on my Revelation-equipped b8ke

damascus
    Free Member

I didn’t notice a great deal of difference going from 140 rev to 140 pike but when I went back to a rev I really noticed it. It didn’t feel as planted and as strong (was probably in my head)

As above they both went up and down and coped with everything.

How heavy are you? If you are on the lighter scale then probably not worth it.

My friend says revs struggle above 140. Not sure if I agree

km79
    Free Member

I think, although I may be wrong, some revs are 35mm diameter and some are 32mm. The 35mm ones are to pikes what yaris are to lyriks. The benifit you get will depend on that i suppose.

joebristol

I had 150mm Revs and have gone to 160mm Yari’s.

Pretty much the same damper, but on rocky sections they tend to plough on through better with more speed than the Revs.

Guess the Pike charger damper would handle repeated hits through rocky sections better and be almost as stiff as the Yari whilst being a little lighter too.

That said, the Revs were pretty good really. You could possibly just change the airshaft and get them out to 150mm and see how they go like that?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

the missus has the revs and compared to my Pikes they are noticeably inferior. It’s not just the stiffness, it’s also the quality of the damping.

nickdavies

They will be an improvement both on chassis stiffness and damping, noticeable imo. Switching from a sid to a pike on a 120mm 29er has made a big difference, I would say be even more with longer travel.

2018 rev/pike are the same chassis so forget stiffness difference there but as your talking existing forks I’m assuming you’re comparing the 32mm rev to 35mm pike.

davosaurusrex

I went from the old 140 revs to 140 pikes and the difference was night and day. As above both stiffness and damping quality. I’m around 85kg

LAT

The spring is probably a better design, too.

chestrockwell

I have pikes and yaris and a mate had some recent revs. All feel similar on small stuff but when things get hectic the Pikes are miles better.

chiefgrooveguru

I went from the old 140 revs to 140 pikes and the difference was night and day. As above both stiffness and damping quality. I’m around 85kg

When holding many helium balloons? 😉

rossburton
    Free Member

If you’ve 120mm Revs on your slackline why not try switching the air shaft for 150mm and seeing if that makes a difference. IIRC a new shaft is £20 then either do it yourself or get the LBS to do it for you.

I recently did a frame swap and did the air shaft swap from 120mm to 150mm, for obvious reasons they feel like a different fork. It’s amazing what 30mm of extra travel can do!

downhillfast
    Free Member

As above, I think you’d notice the extra bit of
    travel more than anything else.

Gunz
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. It was really the difference in stiffness I was interested in but most replies suggest it’s not that radical (I also only weigh 77kg). For £20 I think I’ll have a play with the travel.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

What age forks are you comparing. I bought my bike in 2013 and it came with 2013 revs. I ran them for about 6 months before replacing with Pikes. I did notice a difference back then, but not massive – they were stiffer and a bit more subtle. I have been running the Pikes since then. I’ve recently removed the Pikes as i’m going to install a coil spring kit (was bored so fancied a project so thought what the hell lets see what all the spring lovers are coo’ing about) and have been running the Rev’s for about 4 or 5 rides now. So after being on the Pikes for several years and starting to get the feel of the Rev’s again I have come to one conclusion……..The Revs are absolutely and utterly shite compared to the Pikes. Obviously the are noodle compared to the Pikes, but there is so much little grip compared to the Pikes and don’t track under heavy braking over rough ground anywhere near as well as the Pikes. The spring/damper just doesn’t seem to be able to keep up. I’ve messed around with the air pressure of course but can’t get them to perform anywhere near as well as the Pikes.

So old revs vs Pikes, the Pikes are definitely better. Not sure about these new Revs though.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I moved from 2015 32mm / 140mm Revs to 35mm / 160mm Yaris on a Meta HT. The improvement is significant in all areas and the weight penalty only 200g.

That doesn’t answer the question directly but should help, hopefully.

DrP

I had 32mm stantion 130mm travel revs..
    Now have 140mm Pikes (albit on a different frame!)

However, it’s like night and day..i REALLY rate the pikes – so stiff, really good control.
    Once you stick the luftkappe piston in tehre they are magical!

Get the pikes – you won’t regret it..

DrP

davosaurusrex

When holding many helium balloons?

You cheeky get! I’m a lanky streak of piss I’ll have you know. Humpf.

chiefgrooveguru

You cheeky get! I’m a lanky streak of piss I’ll have you know. Humpf.

I assure you good Sir that my exclamation was purely as a result of your imposing chins height!

😛

davosaurusrex

You’ve only seen me in baggies, I seem to be missing about 10kg from my thighs unfortunately.

stevextc
    Free Member

The Revs are absolutely and utterly shite compared to the Pikes.

Is that because your riding adapted ???

I changed the 130mm Rev’s for 130mm Pikes and wasn’t that impressed … then stuck in a 140mm airs haft, rode a bit more and I now FEEL like I’m getting more out of them than I initially did? Perhaps partly my riding benefited and partly its psychological band partly I’m trying to justify the cost??

It might be interesting to switch back and try the Rev’s again…

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m confused again now. Just pressed the button on the travel extender so at least it’ll give me something to play with.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m confused again now.

I think that’s the position we are meant to be in….
    The Pike is doubtless a better fork but how much better for you vs cost is the elusive …

Which would be better for you? A 130mm Pike or 150mm Rev ??? Depends probably what you ride, weigh etc.

What is clear is a new airshaft will let you know if you’re missing travel or stiffness… or progression pretty cheap.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Is that because your riding adapted ???

My riding has definitely improved, I am a better rider than I was, faster, more aggressive and as such lean on the forks and front wheel more than I used to, which is probably why I didn’t really notice a significant difference moving from the Rev’s to the Pikes, but recently on the rev’s I have, for the first time ever, felt that the kit is the weakest link in the chain rather than me – the forks were just not able to do what I asked of them. But as a back to back comparing my 2013 revs with similar vintage Pikes, the Pikes are for sure a much better fork in every way. Ultimately as with all bike kit, whether or not you need or can use that ‘betterment’ is down to the rider and what they ride and how they ride.

Having said that I’m looking forward to trying the Pikes with the coil conversion though.

Gunz
    Free Member

Which would be better for you? A 130mm Pike or 150mm Rev ??? Depends probably what you ride, weigh etc.

What is clear is a new airshaft will let you know if you’re missing travel or stiffness… or progression pretty cheap.

Well put Steve. looking forward to putting it to the test.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Pike? Significantly better than Revelations.’ is closed to new replies.