Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • PIke setup help?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been running Northwind’s old Pikes (160mm, 26″) for a couple of months now, and on the whole rather like them – rather better all round than my Revs, but not quite as good as my ancient coil Lyrics. However I can’t set them up to feel right AND get full travel.

Currently running 2 volume tokens, 55psi and no floodgate. (I’m 144lb+kit). They stay up in their travel nicely, supportive, little brake dive and feel great over typical Peaks chunder. But I’m just not getting the last 1.5″ of travel.

If I take out a volume token and/or run less pressure, the midstroke goes soggy. If I add floodgate to counteract that, it starts feeling harsh, without really getting the support back.

The biggest impact I routinely take is the drop at the end of the Steelcity track (not the nastiest landing ever), and that still leaves me an inch short of full travel. I’ve only bottomed them once (with one volume token in) when I got a bit lazy and nosed a 3′ to flat drop.

Thoughts/ideas…?

Thanks!

Northwind

o/ You weigh about the same as me and I’ve a feeling I ran them with 2 tokens, 50psi (there’s still a sticker on my frame that says 45psi but I think I went up a bit) no floodgate and just a little compression adjuster. I was never really totally happy with the damping tbh but I didn’t have any issues with using the travel…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

OK, sounds like I’m in the ballpark then. I can get what travel I do use pretty easily, just no further!

If I run less air I find they get a bit trapdoory – all will be great, then I’ll tag something and rather than skip over it, the front wheel will just catch, the fork will dive through most of it’s travel and nearly launch me.

scruff
    Free Member

Checked the damping oil level?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I did actually pull them to pieces the other week (3 rides ago). There did seem to be rather more oil in the lower leg than expected and the damper seemed to take quiet a bit when bled, so potentially there is some extra ramp up from a leaky damper – however no change in performance post service.

I’ve not had time to strip them again to see if the damper is leaking, but I’d be suprised if they’ve lost that much, that quick.

benpinnick

Sounds to me like a blown Charger (split bladder most likely) – the symptoms are all there. At 55 psi I would expect you to blow through the travel quite easily, and anything but open would feel harsh as you hit the high speed stack.

br
    Free Member

I did actually pull them to pieces the other week (3 rides ago). There did seem to be rather more oil in the lower leg than expected and the damper seemed to take quiet a bit when bled, so potentially there is some extra ramp up from a leaky damper – however no change in performance post service.

Did you replace with the right amount/grade of oil?

tbh Mine don’t use the last 1″ of travel, but they work and ride well so I’ve kinda ignored it by lifting the red-ring to the top so I don’t notice 🙂

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Sounds to me like a blown Charger (split bladder most likely)

I think I would have noticed a split bladder. Leaking out of one of the shaft seals is more of a possibility though.

Did you replace with the right amount/grade of oil?

🙄 😉 Yes… (Northwind was nice enough to include a bleed kit and oil in the deal)

kimbers

2 tokens, 60 psi here and a few clicks of compression depending on the trail, Im 90kg though and I get full travel and nicely controlled (ps Ben cheers for the servicing tip, working great now!!)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘PIke setup help?’ is closed to new replies.