Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike sag with decrease in pressure
  • jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Thought my fork was looking a bit short of travel the other day so just checked it and its down from the normal 150mm to around 140mm
    Pressure looked ok @ 80psi for 30% sag
    But on testing it I pumped it up and noticed the fork extend
    At 100psi it was 145mm and at 120psi up to the 150mm
    I’m sure this is not right, anyone else experience this and what can be done?

Its a solo air RCT 3 model

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

1) Burp fork by placing a very small zip tyre between the seals and the stanchions. Most air moto forks have bleed valves for precisely this kind of crap – **** knows why MTB manufacturers can’t see the value in them.

2) Tear fork apart, remove grease from port that equalises the pressure between the positive and negative air chambers. Rock Shox in their infinite wisdom like to pack a crap load of grease into their forks, too much! The ports design is flawed so the only way to rectify it is to use less grease or another type of lube.

It’s a very common issue and one that is causing me to consider a coil conversion from CRconception in France.

Oh yes, and welcome to one of many idiotic Sram designs – next, your maxles will unwind themselves and your wheels will fall off halfway down a downhill run.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Cheers tom I just found the thread on this which is the same thing I guess but as I don’t have the sag printed on the side I didn’t notice it in the same way

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Edit just found a burp vid on you tube

welshfarmer

Mine have gone back to Sram today to have this same issue looked at. I will let you know the outcome.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Not sure exactly what I did but I’ve sorted it now via burping and pumping it up to 150psi and cycling

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Good luck, it will take Fishers five weeks for them to get the forks back to you.

welshfarmer

Cheers for that Tom 🙂

They have 8 weeks before I go to the Alps so they better be back by then!

chrisdw
    Free Member

On the back of this thread I’ve just been out to the shed to try this on mine which have been feeling a bit funny recently.

I didn’t realise they were sitting lower in the travel till I just checked. But they were sitting probably 10mm down.

First let all the air out the air spring. Then burped with the zip tie. Not much came out the damper side. But a surprising amount came out the air side. Pumping up to 140psi and cycling then seemed to fix the travel issue. Something inside made a pop noise. I’m assuming the grease blowing through the valve.

They already feel much much better on the bounce in the shed test.

I’m buying xfusions next.

BillOddie

The trick is to burp them when the fork has 130psi+ in them (rather than nowt on the +ve). Other wise you end up with a second negative airspring which makes matters worse.

I pulled the top cap (the bit that the tokens attaches to) off the airpspring a shone a torch down.

The pressure valve/port was properly clogged with grease, like under 10mm of grease.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pike sag with decrease in pressure’ is closed to new replies.