Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pike rebound servicing
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

My pikes have slowly sped up on the rebound side of things. Compression is feeling pretty crap at the moment too. Is there anything I can do quickly in terms of oil replacement for this weekend before sending them off for a service next week?
    Read the pike service manual but that side of things seems a bit complicated. Is it actually complicated or is it easy and they’re making it complicated?

mactheknife

Its probably the easiest job i have done on the bike. Loosen the bolts, small tap with a mallet to loosen the rods inside and bosh. they are apart.

Quick clean, dip the rings in oil for a minute and re install after greasing the seals, reinstall the lowers and squirt some oil 5ml and 15ml i believe into the legs, it is honestly that easy.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Yeah that’s the lowers which is easy, but what about the rebound/compression assembly? that’s where my oil seems to be disappearing from, judging by the faster rebound, and maybe harder compression?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    unklehomered
    Free Member

sounds like new seals needed.

If you have 5w & 15w oil in, then just get a set of seals and do it properly.

PJM1974
    Free Member

but what about the rebound/compression assembly?

Pretty easy if you have the right tools. You’ll need two sets of snapring pliers (inner and outer), a 24mm socket for the top cap and the appropriate oil (10WT) and grease.

If you try to do the job without the right tools then it’s an absolute pig…but if you’re breaking the rebound/compression assembly apart then you might as well do a full service yourself. It’s worth learning how to do this.

Getting the right amount of oil in the compression assembly is essential too – too little and the damping will be inconsistent and the lockout won’t function, too much and your fork will spike.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

hmmm new pikes require 3wt, not 5/10wt?
    Sounds like I’ll just have to be leaving it well along and see if I can struggle with them this weekend.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pike rebound servicing’ is closed to new replies.