Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pike RCT3 – the modes
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Have had my Pikes for a month (140mm on a 29er trail HT). Despite the cost they’re a superb value upgrade over the previous 120mm Rebas. My backyard is Surrey Hills.

I find I’m using the modes like this ..

Open: moderate plus descents where taking a lot of hits (example The Wall), and most off road seated climbing where I find the front drops a little and they soak up all the trailcrap well. I’ve not messed with the Low Speed Compression setting yet.

Pedal: bermy or smoother trails where I want a bit of support rather than to be pushing through the travel, think for instance the Holmbury Hill classics ParkLife and Golden Birdies (AKA some silly new names). (for the more rooty trails the jury is still out between open and pedal).

Lock: road I guess or perhaps out of the saddle and working it on climbs. Don’t use it much.

Currently at 70psi with rider weight around 80kg (yeah I know the guide says higher) with rebound about 6 clicks off max.

Anyone care agree/disagree/correct the above? I am no suspension guru, here to learn.

chiefgrooveguru

I use the lock on road climbs, otherwise it’s always fully open.

soundninjauk

I’m at 75psi and I found on Saturday that I was getting through the bulk of my travel (150mm RCs) at Swinley Forest, which although fun isn’t exactly hardcore. Got rebound set in the middle (9/10 clicks from open) and 2 clicks of LSC. Going to add another 10psi to try firming them up a tad, then maybe add another couple of clicks of LSC to reduce brake dive.

I weigh about 78kg in my birthday suit, but gotta be a few kg more all geared up.

mattjg
    Free Member

which mode do you use for setting sag? I was using pedal, perhaps that’s wrong.

Northwind

Mine are just always open, tbh it doesn’t really feel like a wide open mode to me, still quite platformy and heavily damped

danbo
    Free Member

I always set sag in fully open, as that’s when you want it working to max ability.

chiefgrooveguru

which mode do you use for setting sag? I was using pedal, perhaps that’s wrong.

It shouldn’t really make a difference in this case but I would only ever set sag with forks/shocks fully open.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Always open or closed here too. Closed on fireroad climbs, open on pretty much everything else. And I’d say that the cost isnt really a downside, have you seen how much some other forks cost currently…?

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Fully open all the time here, I don’t like having to remember to change the settings before descending and I don’t remember the last fork I had that bobbed to a noticeable extent when climbing.

matther01
    Free Member

Fully open and pedal on fire roads/roads (if I remember/can be arsed stretching down).

Euro
    Free Member

Fully open all the time (because i have a habit of forgetting to switch back if i use any other mode).

creamegg
    Free Member

Mine are fully open all the time unless I know theres a really long uphill slog coming up. Never use the inbetween

mattjg
    Free Member

It seems I am overthinking this then. Switch on and, largely, forget.

P20

Open most of the time.
    Pedal on fire road climbs
    Climb on road climbs

binno
    Free Member

New pair here, anyone getting lose knocking feeling between extended and fully extended fork travel. Rides fine, just wondering if it’s normal?

mattjg
    Free Member

No, I don’t get that.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pike RCT3 – the modes’ is closed to new replies.