Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pike RCT3 3-position compression and low-speed compression not working
  • jedimaster
    Free Member

Hi, apologies if a similar thread has been posted before but I couldnt find anything anywhere.

Basically, the 3 compression positions dont change the feel of the fork at all. It feels exactly the same in open, trail and climb. Similarly the low speed compression doesnt change anything at all.
    Does that mean that the Charger damper is totally ****? Or does it need a simple service and bleed?
    The forks feel good when riding and I rarely use the other 2 positions but is this a sign that everything inside is falling apart?
    Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Daz

dirtydog
    Free Member

Sounds like a burst bladder, does the rebound adjustment have any effect?

You have a 2 year warranty with Rockshox, hopefully it hasn’t ran out.

RickDraper
    Free Member

RS now have a updated seal head for the latest 2016 model year forks to prevent air been sucked into the damper.

lornholio
    Free Member

Likewise, my compression adjusters all do nothing now (the 3 position and the low-speed). I’ve been riding it fine for the few weeks, not massively concerned because I always run the 3-position compression fully open and the low-speed just a few clicks in, and I’m pretty sure that it currently rides the same as if all compression was fully open.

I’m hoping to keep riding it until winter and then warranty it (also experiencing the well-documented steerer unit creaking). Is this a sensible idea?

Also will attempting to do a simple lower leg removal & oil change service knacker anything once it’s already in this state?

Superficial
    Free Member

Lower legs should be completely separate. If a lot of oil gushes out then something probably has burst higher up but you won’t harm them by doing the lowers either way.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Dirtydog, the rebound works perfectly

RickDraper
    Free Member

Take off the LSC adjuster and see if the dial for the 3 settings has come loose.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

As above air will be getting into the damper past the seal head assembly. I had the same problem. Changed the seals but still happened.

Speak to fishers. They will probably get you to send the fork back via the shop you get them from / any fishers dealer.

shredder
    Free Member

Had exactly the same thing around a month ago. Took the forks in and the bladder was bled now works perfectly.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Mine was sorted too after a bleed but only for a couple of rides.

shredder
    Free Member

Hmm touch wood mine appears to be lasting. Is a bleed a temp fix then for the underlying issue ?

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Seemed so with mine. Like I say I bled the damper and changed the seals but it reoccurred not long after.

If as Rick Draper mentions above they have a new seal assembly that would probably fix it for at least a good while longer.

Fingers crossed if you have taken them to be done they might have replaced the assembly?

shredder
    Free Member

Assembly definately not replaced in mine only a bleed was carried out. Will keep an eye on them and send them away if it happens again.

Stranga
    Free Member

I had this problem 12 months ago, just sent them away and received a new set of forks under warranty.

BadlyWiredDog

There seems to be a reasonably well-known issue with the seal head not sealing, hence the upgrade for 2016. There’s also an Australian-made replacement part that purportedly fixes it as well – apparently the way forward if you have 26″ Pikes as the new RS part doesn’t fit them apparently.

See this mtbr thread for more info.

I’ve just got one from Australia – NS Dynamics is the company that makes them – and should fit it shortly. Hopefully it’ll sort it out. Seems solidly made etc.

duir
    Free Member

Hmm, the usual Rock Shox approach of getting the public to test their products and then fixing all the issues after a year or two seems to be taking a little longer with the Pikes. Still, half the price of the Fox stuff which will probably break as well. Best compromise is own 2 sets of Pikes so one is available when the other is being warrented. 🙂

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I did contemplate getting the nsd assembly but will see how mine go. That’s what I will do should it happen again.

I can’t complain at all. Fishers have been great in sending me a new set.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Ok, so it sounds like some air got inside the charger damper. I’ll buy the bleed kit and have a go at bleeding it.
    The ns dynamics cartridge seal head sounds like a great idea!

On the other hand has anyone tried the FAST Charger Damper Piston Kit offered by TF Tuned? Would this replace the leaky cartridge seal?

RickDraper
    Free Member

On the other hand has anyone tried the FAST Charger Damper Piston Kit offered by TF Tuned? Would this replace the leaky cartridge seal?

I think it still uses a standard seal head at the bottom and I’m not sure the new seal head is widely available just yet. Give them a call and they will tell you.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My new steed has Pikes, good to know they have a 2 year warranty!

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Bit of an update. My new pair have had exactly the same issue. From the mtbr thread it seems that the new seal assembly wasn’t introduced until mid this year so the pair I have will likely have the old one a they were made in March.

It’s incredibly frustrating and I have no idea how more people aren’t finding issues with this. Is it a bad batch of seals or are they all the same but people aren’t noticing?

Badlywireddog, has the nsd seal assembly sorted yours or is it still early days?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pike RCT3 3-position compression and low-speed compression not working’ is closed to new replies.