Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pike problem
  • jakehinton
    Free Member

Im sure theres a thread on this somewhere but cant seem to find an answer to my problem. Basically i set sag at 30% then after riding for a bit they get stiffer, check sag and its down to 20%. They appear to be gaining air pressure? Anyone experienced this and sorted it?

benpinnick

When your weight is not on the forks (Fully extended) what sag is it reading? Can you pull them out a bit more to get 0%?

wrightyson
    Free Member

How do you set sag on forks? I just go on the weight guide?

coblck
    Free Member

how to set sag HERE

nickdavies

Service, clean and lube the air Spring should sort it. I find I’m doing the airspring a lot more often on my solo air forks than I used to on dual air, tend to find 20-25 hours of riding and they start to stiffen up or I lose travel at rest.

jakehinton
    Free Member

They tend to sit a little into the travel but only 2/3%, maybe 5 tops. Nick Do you change the o rings etc or does a clean and lube sort it?

daver27
    Free Member

It’s the negative spring bleed holes blocking with grease and not bleeding the air back properly. Hold the front wheel down and Give the bars a sharp tug up and then slowly cycle through the travel and then recheck your sag.

jakehinton
    Free Member

Cheers, do that with air in or deflated?

nickdavies

Normally clean and lube only but do it often. Tend to do all the seals every 4/5 services or so but I tend to end up servicing every month to 6 weeks this time of year. The seals don’t actually tend to go in my experience, and the issue is more caused by stuff like the blocked transfer port mentioned above. Follow the guidelines clean everything well and don’t go mad with the grease reassembling. There’s plenty of supposedly easy fixes around like the push pull thing and shoving a zip tie down the stanchion but I’ve never found anything to work properly like a strip and clean, only takes half an hour when you get used to it.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Can grease really block a transfer port? I know its an easy answer but seriously – a blob of grease holding back a pressure difference of 50PSI between the +ve and -ve chambers… I reckon there is something else at play.

Probably differing levels of vacuum in the lowers which essentially adds to the effect of the negative air spring. This is going to effect the plushness of the fork and how low it sits in the travel. After dropping the lowers off to service the air spring this air pressure in the lowers will be different when you put it back together – perhaps giving rise to the illusion that servicing the air spring made a difference.

Just my theory – could be rubbish – but i would like to see an experiment set up where a blob of grease tries to hold back 50PSI

legend
    Free Member

Can grease really block a transfer port?

There is still some pressure in the -ve spring (you’d really know if there wasn’t), it’s just not fully equalizing

ndthornton
    Free Member

are – ok I can believe that

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Pike problem’ is closed to new replies.