Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Pike problem
  • SilentSparky
    Free Member

I have a problem with my Pikes, when fully wound out to 140mm I’m only getting 30mm odd of travel, if I wind them down to 100mm(ish) they are effectively locked out with no travel. I also notice a hissing sound after the compressed & rebound when they’re at 140mm.

They’re only approx 3 months old and had maybe only a dozen rides or so, so I guess it’s not a maintenance issue.

The flood gate & lockout lever on the righthand leg seem to have no effect on the above problem.

Any ideas?
    Oh and they’re 426's, Coil, 2008 I think…

retro83
    Free Member

sounds like the usual damper seal problem. An o-ring fails meaning the oil from the damper (120cc) leaks into a space only meant to hold 15cc hence the fork cannot compress.

Fairly simple fix usually, but if they're relatively new i'd send them back

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Most likely oil had leaked out of the damper into the bottom of the right leg, locking them out. This can affect air forks too

nuke

What retro83 and PP said and happened to mine as per thread here…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2-month-old-fork-faultywhat-would-you-do

Never had coil RS forks so I'm assuming the MC in the right leg is the same whether they are air or coil.

Given the age, I sent mine back. Mine are currently with CRC who have forwarded to supplier (Fisher I guess). Not been a month yet but I am missing them when compared to the Revs I'm currently using 🙁

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Sounds just like something that happened on some new one's I had, it turned out the be the plastic sleeve on the spring, think it's on there to stop it making knocking noises when compressed, anyway it hadn't been put on properly, bit of it sticking out rather than being wrapped around the coils, and was fouling the internals so the shop trimmed it down to stop it fouling. Might be worth checking, or take them back for the shop if it's local and get them to have a look?

Rockplough
    Free Member

Yeah I'd bet a month's wages it's the oil leak into the lowers. Damping unit is the same whether air or coil.

Pretty easy to sort (as I did on the above mentioned thread) if you've got the bits and bobs and you're careful.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Thanks guys, at least it doesn't sound like a major problem.

Now to decide what to do:
    i, Send back to JE James, gonna cost £20 odd for insured shipping @ a guess
    ii, Buy the bits and service myself, around £20 after a quick look on TFT Tuned
    iii, Get them PUSH'd and sorted in one (I was going to get them PUSH'd when they were due there first big service, but this is obviously sooner than I expected)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Pike problem’ is closed to new replies.