Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Pike or Yari ?
  • renton
    Free Member

As title.

I need a new fork and was looking at both of these.

Which would be the better fork ?

29er models around 150mm

Cheers

Steve

clubby

I’ve both in 650b and the Pike is the better fork, but not twice the price better.
    If I was buying separately I’d go for Yari.

jfb01
    Free Member

I agree with Clubby.I too have both.Personally I would get a used Yari & send it off to TF Tuned,for a service & have the Vorsprung conversion fitted to increase the negative air volume.

scandal42
    Free Member

Can’t believe that people are still having to have forks sent away and converted / worked on to make them perform properly.

joebristol

I mean I have a 650b 160mm travel Yari and it works fine as far as I can tell. No requirement to send away to make it work properly. Never ridden a Pike or Lyrik, but vs the other forks I’ve had they are an improvement (150mm Revelation).

Always good to make things better though. When it’s due a service (quite a way away as they’re only a few months old) I may make some tweaks and see what they do. That luftkappe air piston change looks interesting.

renton
    Free Member

I don’t want to have to mess around with anything that I buy to be honest.

I would like then to sit high in their travel and not be too divey.

chestrockwell

Pike’s are better, Yari’s are cheaper. Up to you which is more important. FWIW my pal and I both have 29er Pike and they’re great.

tomhoward

Can’t believe that people are still having to have forks sent away and converted / worked on to make them perform properly.

Not work properly, just better/as well as a more expensive fork in the range…

chakaping
    Free Member

What’s the price difference you’re looking at and how hard is it going to be ridden?

Yari = heavier, stiffer, cheaper
    Pike = lighter, better damping, bit of flex if you’re really smashing into stuff

I got a secondhand Pike for my recent 29er build. I’m appreciating the weight saving and not really noticing the flex so far.

joebristol

The Yari seems to sit high enough up its travel so far. I’ve not used the last 20mm of travel yet, but it feels very plush. Smashing my Strava PR’s everywhere and the forks feel very stiff through rock gardens etc in terms of steering where you want.

When I was specifying my current bike I was trying to decide between Yaris and Lyriks in the end.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Pikes over Yaris all day long..

Lyriks Obe pikes again

P-Jay
    Free Member

I know we see this Pike v Yari question come up now and again, I think mostly because the Pike is often discounted to near Yari money and the Lyrikl isn’t.

Really though the discounted price comparison is the only similar thing about them.

Really the question is do you want an Enduro / Park fork, or a Trail fork? Once you’ve decided which is best for your riding – how much do you want to spend to get the best damper for your needs?

If it’s a Trail fork you want a Pike, if you can’t spend enough for the RTC3 version, then seek out a OE Market RC version, it comes with the same adjustments as the Yari, which to give it it’s full name is a Yari RC.

If it’s a stiffer, but heavier fork (with a larger negative air volume) then you want a Lyrik or a Yari – yes the Yari has an older, simpler damper to achieve it’s RC status, but it’s still a good fork and has some benefits – mostly that It’s complete childs play to service yourself.

I have a Yari and a luftkappe (very good they are too BTW) but I read people saying “Yari with a luftkappe is as good as a Pike” which is not really true, they’re meant to do slightly different jobs and whilst they’re both RS and black, they’re not the same, they don’t even look that alike side-by-side.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you go for the Pike (or the Yari probably) you can use tokens to make it more progressive (less divey).

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

are we discussing the new pike with MOR DAMPERZ 2?

” …. RockShox’s most advanced damper, brings a whole new level of performance and refinement for each intended use.”

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Ohlins RXF36 Coil

renton
    Free Member

I’ve never had a Yari bit did have a Pike Rct3 and really liked it.

Certainly felt stiffer than the current revs I had at the time.

Ok so will try and look out for a used set of pikes.

I’ve seen the Yari at £420 though. …..

Scamper
    Free Member

Recently bought some Yari for £350 from Merlin, but they were 650b 160mm.

My only reference point were my previous 26inch Lyrik, which had the official RCT3 upgrade.

I can notice the extra stiffness of the Yari, and over small bumps the low speed sensitivity is way better than the Lyrik – very plush. However, I have a sneaky suspicion that perhaps the simpler damper will start to be less composed once I find some serious rocks to smash through. However, for now it does actually feel as least as good as the lyrik through rough root complexes possibly the added stiffness compensating.

15 Stone with 2 tokens and like joe above not using at least the last 20cm yet with 25% sag. Did start with one token and 5psi more air for only a ride or two, and it was not sitting as high in the travel, which I prefer. What I have noticed is I basically run no LSC at all or just one click with lots of fast rebound- even on steeper stuff. Not sure if this is right, but basically this is a simple fork which seems impossible to set up wrong.

nickfrog
    Free Member

not using at least the last 20cm yet

Give it time – the last 20cm only came into their own on my Honda CR when I was properly hammering it. 😉

chopchop
    Free Member

Personally, i prefer the Yari over the Pikes after running Pike for years I’ve swapped to Yari on both my bikes. Both 27.5 and 29 flavours, both unmodified and untouched after initial setup with tokens. Stiff, responsive and plush, I’ve yet to suffer any arm pump where this would often be the case on the Pikes. I am a Heffer and lack finess, this may be a factor why the Yaris suit me better!
    No help to the OP, 27.5 Yari are currently available on Merlin for @£315.

renton
    Free Member

Ha I saw them. If they were the 29 version I would of had them already.

So where’s cheapest for 150mm yari RC 29er.

twonks

I quite like X-Fusion for quality at a great price.

transition1
    Free Member

Ohlins RXF34 is also a great fork just swapped out my Fox 34 fit4 for the Ohlins on my Smuggler a nice improvement

P-Jay
    Free Member

I had X-Fusion Sweep RL2 forks before he Yaris. They were a bit lighter and a bit plusher in the initial stroke (before the Luffkappe, less afterward) but flexier and whilst they worked well most of the time they came over all dazed and confused in the face of continuous abuse like at BPW through the rocks. Fine most of the time though.

sirromj

http://www.bird.bike/product/ex-demo-yari-150-rc-diffusion-black-stealth-black-graphics-2/
    Oh not sure what wheel size that is. Oh and going cheap on Merlin too. Hmmmmmm. Maybe some bartering power?

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

What about an xfusion with the new roughcut damper? That’s meant to be really good. Also every thread like this that comes up I say the same but Manton Mattoc? Some of the newer suntour range look pretty good all available at sensible prices. I know they aren’t on the cover of magazines as much as RS but just as good and in some aspects better.

John

tomaso
    Free Member

2018 Rockshox range now has two families of forks in either dampers or chassis.
    Chassis wise the new Revelation with 35mm stanchions is shared with the Pike. And the Yari chassis with the Lyrik.
    Damper wise the Revelation and Yari share the motion control damper and the Pike and Lyrik the charger damper.
    There may well be greater differences but that is roughly how things are.
    I do wonder how much difference the charger damper makes in the real world outside of MBR testers? I loved my old Lyriks with mission control RC2DH damping, but also get on fine with Pikes in both RC and RCT3 flavour.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I just wish Rockshox/SRAM had a clear spec matrix document on their range of forks that allows to understand what I perceive (rightly or wrongly) as a pretty large but opaque and very complex range of very similar forks.

If I look at their site, I am even more confused.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d missed that about the new Rev having the Pike chassis.

Makes a lot of sense.

renton
    Free Member

Do you think that the current pike/yari will go down in price when the new models are released ?

Anyone seen any good deals on 29er pike or yari ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Pikes have already been going cheap, I’m sure that will continue as shops offload the older version.

Alex

I have

Boost pike RCT3, boost YARI RC and XF Mcqueen with Roughcut damper.

They’re all fab 😉 The Yari is on my Stache and while it does weigh a bit more than a Pike, it’s fantastic as just smashing through stuff and has great small bump performance as well. The Pike is on my Mojo and it does what a Pike does. Can’t say I’m desperate for after aftermarket mods. The XF is on the flaremax. That’s a great fork as well, pretty light, stiff enough for me, nicely put together and totally forgettable (in a good way) in use.

So basically for your average rider (like me), I’d be more inclined to go for the one that suits your budget and not worry about anything else.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Just back from a bone dry and stupidly hot Bike Park Wales and really impressed with my luftkappe yari, so much more composed than before and much easier on the hands.

As a heavier rider I would be looking at the yari or lyric, depending on intended use. One of the super cheap yari’s with an easy £62 luftkappe upgrade makes for an excellent bargain fork.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve not seen any bargain 29er Yari yet.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Pike or Yari ?’ is closed to new replies.