Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pike Motion Control
  • clowner
    Free Member

The motion control on my pikes seems to have gone – i.e. I can no longer lock them out.

Any suggestions on an easy fix or is it best to get them serviced properly?

bagpuss
    Free Member

If you've had them hanging from the front wheel or kept the bike upside down then it will start to work again after you've had it the right way up for a bit.

clowner
    Free Member

Bike is stored upside down so im used to having to cycle the forks a few times to get them going.

This is after they have been upright for a while and had the usual cycling with no avail

mushrooms
    Free Member

It just lifts out if you want to have a look at it.
    Take the cir clip of then unscrew it.

You possibly could of lost some oil out of the damper into the lowers?

metal_leg
    Free Member

I just sorted the same problem on a set of RS Revs. Oil in the motion control unit had dropped into the lowers. Hardest part of the fix was getting the fekin circlip off and on again. Must buy proper circlip pliers.

clowner
    Free Member

Never looked at the internals of a fork before.

Will it be obvious if oil has been lost into the lowers?

Is it possible to remove from lowers/replace in damper without fully disassembling the fork?

nuke

You storing your RS forks upside down? That's brave…if I do that they generally leak! RS forks are renowned for leaking out the top of the moco unit. It's Fox forks that should be stored upside-down.

Maybe they have leaked as the oil needs to be over the moco unit for the lockout to function. Do you have full travel as if the oil has leaked into the lowers you'll get reduced travel and a clunk as they bottom out (Well my RS forks did when I had that problem)?

Personally I'd take the moco out, tip out the oil and refill with the correct amount and then see if the lockout works after you've put them back together…20 minute job…preferable to committing to a full strip down. All you need is a 24mm socket and some 5wt fork oil.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Its actually really easy to take it apart and put back together again.
    Easier guide than the rock shox manual

24mm socket, 5mm hex key, and circlip pliers! This was the first time I did a fork too.

I stripped mine down and did the service as the lockout was not working. Its still wasnt working after the service and I realised I had not put enough oil in the motion control unit.

clowner
    Free Member

Unfortunatly I have to with the space I've got.

Stored in my bike bag in my room.

Leaked to begin with then got them sorted under warranty. Not had a problem since then.

Seem to have full travel – took the air out to reset the pressures and when it was empty they looked to be going through the full travel OK.

Going to have a look at the moco unit/oil tomorrow.

Hopefully it will be clear if it's lost some or not – going to look for a seal kit aswell as assume if oils got out then the seals could do with being replaced.

nuke

going to look for a seal kit aswell as assume if oils got out then the seals could do with being replaced.

If you're storing them upside-down then might be worth it but tbh if you weren't, I say don't bother.

Good luck. Hopefully the solution is a simple case of topping up the oil. 😀

clowner
    Free Member

Just had a quick look on CRC/Wiggle/TFTuned and the seal kits all look to be for the legs.

Any ideas where I can get seals for the top of the moco leg?

metal_leg
    Free Member

If you mean the o-rings then I hear halfords sell a bag full for a couple of quid. Sorry, I dont know what size you need as I havent had to change mine. If you do have lots of oil leaking into the lowers, then it will be the seal at the top of the rebound damper not the moco unit.

Try an oil topup first – the seals are probably fine and its the upside down storage causing the oil loss. I only had to top up with 5ml to get mine working again.

JohnnyPanic

If they're Pikes, when you've removed the circlip, etc and unscrewed the top off the RH leg (24mm socket, not pliers etc.) the oil level should be 5" below the top. If it's much less then it may be leaking into the lowers. If enough oil leaks into the lowers then it will prevent full travel and when you remove the lowers it will all splurge out of the hole at the bottom. The lowers should contain about 15ml anyway but the upper RH leg (moco unit) contains 120ml when correctly filled.

If you're replacing the seals search t'bay for 'reba seal kit'. I've just done my coil pikes & dual air revs with these and they seem to work OK (so far!) N.B. not me selling these. 🙂

clowner
    Free Member

Pretty sure (hopeful) that oil has not gotten into the lowers.

When I had the air out when I was resetting the pressures they looked to be going through full travel with no issues.

I'll take a look later today when I get some fork oil.

Out of interest (fear) what is involved in fixing a leak from the uppers to the lowers?

metal_leg
    Free Member

Nothing more than replacing an o-ring on the compression damper. I still think your oil level has dropped because of the upside down storage and oil has escaped out the top, not into the lowers.

As with most things, this job is easy if you have the right tools. In this case a 24mm socket and some circlip pliers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pike Motion Control’ is closed to new replies.