• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gp.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pike lowers removal help, rebound bolt spinning
  • gp
    Free Member

hi, help please!

I am trying to remove the lowers from my pike rct3, the rebound bolt is just spinning, i cant tighten or losen it any further. I can feel it is still connected to the damper rod. Have tried adding back air and compressing to re-engage it but no joy. Any ideas!?

Thanks

devash
    Free Member

Aren’t you supposed to lightly whack the allen wrench with a hammer once the bolt starts to spin to loosen it?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I was going to suggest adding air again, that usually works for me. Also, try extending the forks fully, then undoing the bolt – might require an extra pair of hands.

gp
    Free Member

Yes i undid it a turn or so, gave it a whack, felt it give and then tried to loosen it more…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I think its like a fox lower, in that there is a flat on the end of the rod that locates I to a matching flat inside the lower.
    With the forks upsidown try gently levering the nut up as you turn it, to relocate the flat on the rod back in the groove. If this works keep gently levering to hold the rod in position as you undo the but.
    If it doesn’t work I would try with the lever under the but, but tighten it to try to draw the rod back into position, then try disassembly again.
    Pushing down gently on the lowers will help too, but you may find you don’t have enough hands.
    Holding the forks upsidedown in a vice or bikestand helps.

Hi just saw your last post#……
    You wacked too soon and have moved the shaft off the flat. Relocate it and try again. Wait until the nut is almost off before wacking! 🙂

gp
    Free Member

Adding Air extending doesnt help, feels fully extended but still spinning. I can hear the rod turning with the bolt. Have also tried compressing with little/lots of air, same thing 🙁

gp
    Free Member

Ok so levering up an tightening got it back in, so i tightened and then tried to losen off again, gets to a point and is spinning, so am tring to lever it out a bit. Really worried now as small bit of thread/swarf came out. Going to stop for a break before i destroy it… Thanks for the help evryone.

gg14
    Free Member

Don’t mean to de-rail the thread but where’s the cheapest place to buy 26b pikes?

hyena
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me OP, I ended up having to cut the flange off the nut with a dremel and sanding it down so it all fitted through the hole in the lowers. I was then able clamp on to the damper rod and undo what remained of the bolt. The last few turns were really stiff and there was evidence of swarf when it came out. Ended up chasing the threads with a tap. I replaced the threadlock on the replacement with grease but I’ve not had the lowers off since so cant comment if its any better.

Good luck

gp
    Free Member

Thanks hyena. Might have to brave it with a hacksaw, or be sensible and take it to a bike shop. So the correct procedure is to undo the bolts to the last few threads before knocking them?

trusty

I had the same, the whole assembly spinning on the damper side. The forks ended up going back to Fisher. And after 5 weeks they’re still there…

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Tighten the foot bolts / lower leg bolts fairly tight to re-seat the rods then slacken them off again.

gg14
    Free Member

Great, thanks. LBS quoted 580 odd…as much as I don’t mind paying a bit more in bricks and mortar places, it was a bit much.

LoCo
    Free Member

Let air out of fork, turn lockout on and compress & turn nut a same time.
    Be careful with the nut though as they’re pretty soft, we’ll have a spare one if you mangle it though!

nealy
    Free Member

My brother’s pike did this and so did mine, both replaced with brand new forks under warranty. Apparently my brother’s had an ovalised damper rod and mine went back to Germany but no specific reason was given. There is some thread lock on the foot bolt which I think stops it turning freely in the damper rod and then it’s FUBAR or maybe the threads just get damaged when it gets hit with a hammer. I think the trick is to fully remove the foot bolt and make sure the threads are clean then fully insert before backing off 4 turns and hitting it with a soft hammer.

Don’t think you’ll sort it at home without cutting it so assuming it’s under the 2 year warranty send it back.

trusty

I’ve been told mine are being repaired not replaced, which is strange after what’s been said above. Wait and see when they finally arrive

gp
    Free Member

Thanks again all and for the offer loco, if i can get it out might well take you up on it but having no joy with it at all.

al

Heat gun and an air ratchet. Had the same thing, heated it up a bit and razzed it with the air ratchet (which is unnerving when you can hear the damper rod spinning!) a couple of blasts and out it came. Grease it a bit before refitting.

gp
    Free Member

Got it out! well Rayments in Brighton did – a bit of manly levering and out it came. Just needed that firm contact with lower leg to stop the rod spinning with the bolt.

gp
    Free Member

Just to say this is all sorted – thanks to Loco for sending a replacement bolt and to Rayments for the super speedy assistance – the shaft thread needed tapping to clean it out…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pike lowers removal help, rebound bolt spinning’ is closed to new replies.