Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pike dual position v's solo air
  • kevin1911

I’m in the market for a new 650b fork, and have seen some good deals for a revelation rct3 or a dual position pike rc.

I’d probably prefer pikes, but the revs are £100 less and I’m more trail mincer than enduro shredder. I’m also aware that travel-adjust forks are usually less plush than their fixed-travel equivalents. Which would you get and why? (They’d be for a Merida one forty) Both forks are 150mm travel.

Thanks!

jimmy

I have rev rtc3 and they are plush as f***. Don’t know about pikes, but recommend revs without a doubt.

damascus
    Free Member

Sounds like the revs would suit you best. However, if you are a heavier rider you might want the pikes for the extra stiffness.

rs
    Free Member

I have a pike dual position and its pretty damn plush! granted my previous trail fork was a sektor solo air, but I also have a downhill bike with avy cartridge boxxer, the feeling I got fitting the avy, like where did all the bumps go, I also got going from the sektor to the pike.

kevin1911

Hmm, I am a heavier rider. Am I right in saying that revs are generally stiffer than fox 32s? (150mm, 650b)?

kevin1911

Anyone?

whippetboy
    Free Member

I had the fox 34 talas and never used the travel adjust function once, it just served no purpose for me. Replaced this with a Pike recently and went for the Solo, not the dual position. The fork has enough of a lock out for long climbs and unless you’re regularly riding up near vertical trails where you’re constantly wheelieing, I can’t see why you’d need dual position to keep the front of your bike down. I’m guessing either the pike or revelation would be suitable for you, probably more the revelation if you’re less of an ‘enduro’ shredder so to speak (will be cheaper I’m guessing as well – evans had some good deals on for the Pike)!

andylc
    Free Member

Maybe it depends on your head tube angle etc but on my Norco Range there are frequent enough times when I’m glad of the DPA pikes, exactly for the reason just mentioned – steep climbs and getting forward / avoiding wheelies.
    Wouldn’t have them without the custom tokens though.

phy7tes
    Free Member

Recently went to a 140 Rev from 130 fox 32 on a 29er. The rev is noticeably stiffer. I was considering pikes but I’m pleased with my choice.

kevin1911

Right thanks everyone. Think I’ll go with the rev for now and maybe go for a pike later if I think it’s needed or if anywhere starts knocking them out on the cheap.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Always read that dual position have more issues on forks generally than single. I’ve never felt the need to adjust the travel myself. Makes no difference to my climbing ability. Same with lock outs really.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pike dual position v's solo air’ is closed to new replies.