Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pike Coil spring weights
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I'm just over 12 and a half stone in the buff and my coil sprung Pikes have an extra firm spring in them. This is probably too heavy for me, but does anyone know whether I'd be better off with a firm or medium spring? Is there a chart with suitable weights anywhere? Can't find it on the RS/SRAM website.

Ta!

peteimpreza

If you decide on a medium or firm I have one of each I would be happy to swap for your x-firm.

Mail in profile.

Jamie
    Free Member

Unless you have a rucksack full of rocks i would go for a less resistant spring. I am 11stone…erm…in the buff and ride a medium spring which seems about right.

Rickos
    Free Member

peteimpreza – coolio. I may have to speak to TFTuned, but I'll take you up on that once I know which one to go for.

Jamie – cheers, might well need a firm then.

peteimpreza

OK Rickos. Mail in profile.

peteimpreza

Just found the on the TF site

"My Pike coil fork feels soft. What can I do?
    The standard spring fitted in these forks is a Medium, which is suitable for a rider weight of 65-75kg, all kitted up. If you’re over this, you’ll need a Firm or X-Firm spring. If you’re over 100kg, you’d be better to consider an air fork as the X-Firm won’t be suitable for extreme riding."

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Rickos, I'm 83kgs in my Nat King and I used a Medium for a bit but snapped it and now use a Firm after speaking to TF. To be honest I preferred how the Medium rode a bit but I used to bottom out a few times a ride.

It's worth mentioning that I'm often carrying a lot more weight than a normal biker with all my guiding gear.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Hey Rickos, I'm 83kgs in my Nat King and I used a Medium for a bit but snapped it and now use a Firm after speaking to TF. To be honest I preferred how the Medium rode a bit but I used to bottom out a few times a ride.

It's worth mentioning that I'm often carrying a lot more weight than a normal biker with all my guiding gear.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

My Pikes came with the x-firm spring and I found it too harsh, 85kg btw, after speaking to TFT they advised that I could use the medium and if it goes through the travel too easily to up the compression on the moco unit, perfect now … although you might also need to consider the type of terrain it will mostly be used on?

DT78
    Free Member

80kg here and I ride a medium spring feels fine to me but I like quite a soft ride 🙂

Rickos
    Free Member

Aye, looking at the conversion I'm 80 to 81kg's, so add a few kg's in riding gear. Looks like a firm would be good for me – don't like it too soft and I reckon a medium would be a wee bit soft.

devs
    Free Member

I'm 110KG and will swap the brand new medium spring in my Pikes for your X firm if you want. They're still in the box waiting for someone such as yourself that has the wrong spring!

Rickos
    Free Member

Are the recommended weights anything like Rock Shox's recommended pressures in their air forks? The air pressures are always way over the top, so if the coils are the same I reckon I'd need a soft!

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Hi Rickos. If you don't want peteimpreza's firm spring can I have it? I have an xfirm I can swap with him. Second hand firm's seem to be like gold dust. Here is the info you need:

http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/service/coil_spring_chart.pdf

takisawa2

Just over 100kg here. On X-Firm & find it spot on. Not as hard as you'd think.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I know what makes up most of your weight ricky

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I'm around 78Kgs with gear , changed from the standard medium to a firm and doesn't sit too deep into its travel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pike Coil spring weights’ is closed to new replies.