Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pike adding tokens – flat socket needed?
  • julzm
    Free Member

Has anyone added bottomless tokens to their pikes? Does the 24mm socket need to be flat like the one you use for fox forks?

poey50
    Free Member

Yes, better to have a flat one. If you can’t grind one down then 18 Bikes sell them.

Kahurangi

Just use an adjustable spanner.

raisinhat
    Free Member

I’ve always done mine with a standard socket. I’m sure a flat one would be better and less likely to round off, but as long as you’re careful it’s not essential.

mjsmke

I used an adjustable spanner and put a bit of tape on the top cap before undoing it so I knew how much to tighten it again.

jwray

Cone wrench of the right size works well also

J.

andylc
    Free Member

What’s wrong with a normal 24mm socket? Mine seems to work fine. Much more likely to round it off if you use an adjustable spanner.

wiggles
    Free Member

Don’t use an adjustable spanner… Either a proper flat socket or be very careful with a decent 24mm socket or cone spanner.

I’ve seen forks written off because of badly chosen tools.

marco
    Free Member

Normal socket for me too. Just take it steady

Kahurangi

We’re talking the big hex on the top, right? To put the tokens in. Its really shallow, I doubt you’d get it off with a standard socket. If you’re careful and have a good spanner I see no problem with this.

Sure, a cone spanner would be better though.

nickdavies
    Free Member

I use one of the toothed sockets, never been an issue yes flat is better but just don’t be ham fisted. Adjustable spanner works well too, again just be careful.

It shouldn’t be tight enough to cause you any problem, hand tight and a quarter turn is all you need for the top cap.

Getting the stack of 5 tokens apart after the factory have applied 1000 lb ft of force to each one may be another issue, however…

br
    Free Member

I bought a cheapish socket and a pal milled it down.

kimbers

Used an adjustable spanner no probs, just be careful

Changed roles around, a couple of services, its all good

Northwind

My normal sockets have pretty square edges so work fine but yeah, be careful. I’ve also got a Park 24mm cone wrench (very handy for boxxers, means you can remove the damper without having to fanny around with the dials and their fiddly tiny grub screws) and that does the job but obviously more hassle.

julzm
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’ll think I’ll wait and get a flat socket rather than take the risk.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Park do a 24mm cone spanner especially for this situation. Cheaper and easier to find than a flat socket, and worked fine when I did it.

granny_ring

LoCo sells them

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

We’re talking the big hex on the top, right? Its really shallow, I doubt you’d get it off with a standard socket.

Yes you can, as most posters on this thread have said. Just go steady and hold the socket as you work. Ignore the ignorants!

bigjim

Standard socket works fine

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Adjustable spanner works fine

spicer
    Free Member

I use a standard socket from halfords. Lots of little teeth around the inside rather than flats, have used it plenty of times with no rounding.

I’ve also used an adjustable spanner before this. I got the socket because I was rounding it.

Provided its not a lot more expensive, you might as well go for the one with flats. But a normal will work fine

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pike adding tokens – flat socket needed?’ is closed to new replies.