Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike 454 Compression Dial
  • Bludgeon
    Free Member

Hi,

A Pike 454 came on my Cannondale Prophet 1.

There is a very handy compression dial on top of the right hand leg. Thing is it seems far to loose and would probably result in the compression setting being changed accidentally if it were whacked by a bush for example; could even change through normal vibration….

The bike came with a kit that includes a cable tie, an alcohol wipe, a double-sided sticky thing and a bit of plastic that I assume is used in conjunction with the cable tie and the dial to fix the position of the compression dial.

Has anyone else seen this? Seems to be a bit of a bodge IMO…

Ta.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The bit of plastic/tie/etc is for attaching the brake hose to the fork arch brace. If you look on the rear left side of the brace there’s 4 ‘blobs’ to keep the zip-tie in place, the plasic goes on the front, under the hose, to keep it from rubbing the paint.

🙂

Bludgeon
    Free Member

OK thanks. I’ll use that then. The bike came from Wheelies Direct (insurance job) – they just cable-tied it to the fork’s lower arch.

No ideas about the compression dial tho?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

I had a right shonky one on a set of 454s and they were repaired under warranty. Go back and show it to the shop.

On the two sets of pikes I’ve got the dial works smoothly with little / no wibble and has enough resistance to stay in the position you turn it to.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Under the dial there’s just a rubber O-ring to provide some friction. You could pop the dial off (just a circlip) and have a look. A washer or fatter O ring would cure it, or possibly it’s got some unwanted lube on it and cleaning it up would work. When you put the circlip back on, squeeze the ends together to tighten it down a bit more.

Bludgeon
    Free Member

Thanks for the help.

I’ll ask my LBS to do do it as the bike needs some work done because Wheelies Direct didn’t assemble the bike properly – left a 1mm gap between the headtube/headset and the top of the fork.

flamejob
    Free Member

It’s a bit dodgy that they didn’t even bother to stick the hose guide on when they assembled the bike!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s a bit dodgy that they didn’t even bother to stick the hose guide on when they assembled the bike!

Fair point on the face of it, but I’ve just bought my first full mailorder bike and it came packed like this –

As you can see it’s not really possible to put the hose clip on and expect it to stay there!

As for the headset, yes that’s not good, but it’ll probably settle in if you go for a ride….

Bludgeon
    Free Member

The bike was fully assembled and shipped with the bars in line with the frame.

Cables and hose looks like a rats nest and actually catch on the top of the fork…. in fact exactly where the compression dial is located LOL… 😕

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

but it’ll probably settle in if you go for a ride….

I’m not exactly sure what the problem with the headset is (or rather, where it isn’t flush e.g. cup and headtube, between race and cup or below race and top of fork). Whatever, letting it “settle” sounds like a really crap idea. Strip it and get it all together properly. Slop and play in something with bearings sounds a sure way to give yourself an even bigger repair bill.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pike 454 Compression Dial’ is closed to new replies.