Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pike 454 air u-turn V new rev platform (stiffness thoughts…)
  • beagle
    Free Member

I have had a pair of pike 454 u-turn airs for couple of years now. They have been faultless and are still running sweet.

I fancy a pair of new revs in 20mm maxle lite flavour and am searching round at the moment – not ruling out 2nd hand.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the differences in stiffness, in the same 20mm axel. Don’t fancy 15mm.

Any comparisons greatly received. I’m 86kg and generally don’t tend to break stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve had 2 sets of Pikes and now have 15mm Revs

I’d say the Pikes are very slightly stiffer, but there’s not much in it to all intents and purposes….. 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Ahhh. The RS expert already! Ta PP. If Herbold hangs his boots up at SRAM, I’d think about applying!! 😮

The 20mm should be a tad stiffer then, no?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gravity-slave
    Free Member

I got some great feedback here.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/pike-454-to-2011-revelations-upgrade

Summary – Revs have much better damping but not quite as stiff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I would have thought, so, in theory. I doubt weather you’d notice in a blind test though! 🙂

EDIT
    Not read that link above yet, but my Revs are noticeably better damped than Pikes. That’s the biggest improvement IMO.
    Easily the best air fork I’ve ever used, to be honest

beagle
    Free Member

Nice one. What was the outcome Gravity?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve several (3!) sets of Pikes and a set of 20mm Revelations so I feel that I’m reasonably qualified to compare 🙂

There is a noticable difference in tracking stiffness between the two forks, although it’s never really proved to be an issue for me. As for the damping, I would agree that the Revelations are a tad sweeter too.

If you want the burliness of the Pike but crave better damping then there is another solution open to you. You might be best served saving a chunk of cash and opting for a PUSH damping upgrade on your Pikes. It might be worth giving TF Tuned a call and asking them how best to proceed.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Nice one. What was the outcome Gravity?

Procrastination…

I was about to get some Revs but held off when I saw that 2012’s come with a tapered steerer. My next frame will likely have a tapered head tube so I am hanging on to do both together.

A mate got 2011 Revs to replace Pikes and loves them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

but held off when I saw that 2012’s come with a tapered steerer

So do my 2011 ones!

chakaping
    Free Member

not ruling out 2nd hand.

I have a 2011 Rev RLT ti 150mm to sell, email in profile if interested.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Are they imports? I couldn’t find any tapered/20mm listed in the UK a month ago. TF had the new 2012 tapered/20 listed but now looks like only 15mm axle versions?!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OEM forks form Merlin, tapered steerer, 15mm axle.

£315 including a free DT Swiss 240 front hub. I basically ripped their arms off for a set! (Then sold the poploc lever for £15…)

🙂

Northwind

I’m another one in the “Revs are less stiff than Pikes, but it doesn’t matter” camp.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pike 454 air u-turn V new rev platform (stiffness thoughts…)’ is closed to new replies.