Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pike 29 with 3" plus tyres
  • gingerman69

Working on converting my turner sultan over to a halo vapour 35 wheelset with 3 ” nobby nic tyres but tyre is too wide for my revelation 29 fork. Looking at swapping to a pike 29 or a fox 34 29 but would prefer the Pike.

Has anyone tried that combo and enough clearance on the pike for a vapour 35 wheel with nobby nic 3″ tyre please ? Or anyone selling a fork that would work ?

Cheers

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I occasionally run a fox 32 / 120mm F29 fork on my Krampus. It has summer clearance for a 50mm rabbit hole and full 3 inch knard. Can be dremelled for extra clearance.

My thoughts are that a pike wont clear, but hopefully someone will be along shortly to confirm it.

Have a look at the Manitou Magnum fork as found on some Trek Stache bikes, as this has full 29plus clearance.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

AFAIK It won’t work, I believe a 27.5 boost Reba does though. And the Fox boost fork. The only 29+ actual fork is the MAgnum.

variflex
    Free Member

Pike 29er std and 3″ tyre on 45mm scrapers is too tight, in that it will run ok in the stand but when you actually give it beans around a corner the tyre distorts and rubs.

However, on 30 or 35mm rims you may just be ok. Someone will hopefully come along to say they have got it working.

If in doubt go for a boost fork if you can.

gingerman69

sounds like Pike might be too tight and fox 34 29 be the option – think sanny published on that

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Aye, Bruce aka coastkid uses a dremelled 34 on his krampus.

Just tried my manitou tower fork tonight, and that is tight but I might dremmel it out if I use it.

golo
    Free Member

I’m running the Roval fattie rims (29mm internal) with 2.8” Rocket Ron and it runs cleanly but close. Not sure I’d want to run 3″ in there .

cooie

Just go for the boost 29er Pike, best of both worlds then 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pike 29 with 3" plus tyres’ is closed to new replies.