Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pike – 24mm wrench
  • matther01
    Free Member

Anyone using a Suzuki or Kawasaki wrench rather than a 24mm socket or cone spanner for the top cap?

If so, any issues?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Top cap?

My LBS gets sockets machined flat which works really well. On older (less GAS) forks I’ve used a car wheel brace

Though you need to be careful depending on the thickness.

fathomer

I bought a machined socket from 18bikes for not much more than a socket would have cost.

matther01
    Free Member

Yeah 18bikes do machined sockets here but they’re 1/2 and I’d need 3/8.

Lunarbikes in the US do specific wrenches for RS and Fox forks but quite expensive shipping etc.

I can pick up the Suzuki/Kawasaki one for about £10 and they’re fully closed so shouldn’t cause much if any damage unlike an unmachined socket or cone wrench

jwray

Park do a 24mm cone wrench and I use that. Works a treat. I think they even advertise its for Pike top caps.

Ah, ignore me, just saw you asked instead of cone spanner

singlespeedstu

Yeah 18bikes do machined sockets here but they’re 1/2 and I’d need 3/8.

Just buy a 1/2-3/8 adaptor. 🙂

matther01
    Free Member

Cheers Stu…didn’t know you could get an adapter. Can you tell I’m not mechanically minded!

Adapter and 18bikes socket it is and I’ll be able to torque it correctly too.

extremenik
    Free Member

Socket, bench grinder and a vernier to make sure its square worked for me. £4 of ebay!

porter_jamie

I machined an old socket down in the lathe. Takes a few seconds then a quick once over with a needle file. If you are anywhere near Essex feel free to drop by the shop.

creamegg
    Free Member

24mm spanner (open end) works fine ime

jimw
    Free Member

Socket, bench grinder and a vernier to make sure its square worked for me. £4 of ebay!

I did the same, except used a permanent pen line as a guide ( hold pen at set angle on a flat surface and rotate socket) then cut off with hacksaw, filed to the line and polished with grades of paper. Took me 10 minutes and £3.49

granny_ring

Loco sells them for £7.50

matther01
    Free Member

Yeah…grinder, vernier, lathe & hacksaw purchases will equate to more than loco’s £7.50!

jimw
    Free Member

Yeah…grinder, vernier, lathe & hacksaw purchases will equate to more than loco’s £7.50!

Yes, it does help to have all the tools already. If I hadn’t then Loco’s look OK-what is the postage?

matther01
    Free Member

No idea on the postage…probably a few £.

Will give them a call tomorrow or Monday along with 18bikes to see who has it in stock.

Maybe you should mass market them and undercut the competition?! 😉

granny_ring

I was getting my shock done at the same time so no idea of separate postage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pike – 24mm wrench’ is closed to new replies.