• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PIKE- 150mm or 160mm? (A-toC measurements)
  • hora
    Free Member

Which did you go for? Its not an automatic 160mm as do you really need that extra 10mm?

Looking at axle to crown measurements?

650b
    150mm is 542mm axle to crown
    and
    160mm is 552mm axle to crown

Marzocchi 55’s are 536mm in 150mm mode. That felt about right.

Obviously 27’er is a taller wheel. I’ll initially be running a 26’er rim until it needs replacing but I’d be more than happy with a 150mm Pike if I was happy with the Mazz at 150mm/536mm and thats on a 26’er wheel to boot. Am I reading this right?

The 150mm Pike would suit me fine?

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes.

Northwind

I took the approach that you can machine down the air spring to shorten a 160 but you can’t lengthen a 150 without buying new bits

honourablegeorge

160 is more

More is better

iamanobody
    Free Member

Thought you hated pikes Hora? fox or mazz man?

mmannerr

Pike air shafts which determine fork travel are quite reasonably priced at about 30 euros in German shops. Very little risk in choosing any of them.

hora
    Free Member

More is better

I used to agree but unless its an alpine jaunt 150mm is more than enough around the UK (unless its a specific DH place!).

Pike air shafts which determine fork travel are quite reasonably priced at about 30 euros in German shops. Very little risk in choosing any of them.

Thats good to know- cheers.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Go for th 160 DPA’s and have the best of both worlds. I got the 150 DPA’s on a 29er. It took a bit of getting used to, but I now regularly deploy the shorter 120mm mode on steeper climbs where the slightly higher front end and longer A-C can make steep climbs a bit vague. At the shorter length it is definately a huge improvement on climbing ability of the bike. Then at the top you can revert back to ‘Send It’ mode!

julians
    Free Member

Sold the 55’s as I couldnt climb at all with them. Even in 150mm with rheir longer a-c. I always jumped off and push.

Marzocchi 55’s are 536mm in 150mm mode. That felt about right.

Make your mind up, are the 55’s about right, or are they so bad you ‘cant climb at all with them’?

hora
    Free Member

I need dual position me thinks.

singlespeedstu

150 or 160.
    It doesn’t matter you’ll think there’s something wrong with them which ever on you get. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Fox or Mazz man? Yes but Ive been assured the 2015 batch has all the issues ironed out and the charger damper isnt like the mission/moco (didnt like).

Glad I bought the 150mm 650b. The 160 version is bigger than 170mm Marzocchi’s. Thats waaaay too big for xc/trail!

Do they need breaking in? Going to ride for a few weeks before adding tokens. Although at 30% sag (prefer), I only have 75psi in. So Im guessing theres already 1-2tokens factory fitted. Im 15.2stone

chiefgrooveguru

They don’t come with tokens in except on the 29s. 30% sag at 75psi weighing 15 stone sounds about right with fresh bushes.

nuke

I need dual position me thinks.

Going to ride for a few weeks before adding tokens.

I’m guessing you therefore went with Solo Air as these two comments don’t go together as iirc you can’t fit tokens to Dual Position forks

singlespeedstu

Although at 30% sag (prefer), I only have 75psi in. So Im guessing theres already 1-2tokens factory fitted. Im 15.2stone

The tokens do not affect the sag.
    Just the ramp up towards the end of the stroke.

hora
    Free Member

Ride yesterday- really like it with the two tokens in. A tad more psi out and it’ll be bob-on 8)

scruff
    Free Member

For how long?

did you buy OEM or LBS? (I dont actually care)

hora
    Free Member

LBS- the RC isn’t as good is it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PIKE- 150mm or 160mm? (A-toC measurements)’ is closed to new replies.