• This topic has 46 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • PIF comes to Singletrackworld (Pay It Forward)
  • sadexpunk

got into this shaving lark at christmas, and thanks to the vast amount of advice and help over on my DE shaving thread, in just a couple of months my bank accounts a lot lighter now 😀

some of that advice led me to the badgerandblade website based in US, and ive spent many hours since, brushing up my knowledge on there too. its a great community spirit over there, a sort of ‘singletrack of the shaving world’, with a friendly, helpful atmosphere.

one of the things i discovered on there, is this PIF ‘help each other out’ type of thing. never heard of it before, but its all over that site. the generosity warms the cockles of my heart, and reading the ‘rules’, it seems to me the sort of thing that the good folk on here would approve of and embrace.

so…… id like to try introducing it here, see how it goes. it may last for thousands of posts over thousands of years, or it may just fizzle out with the first person receiving an item, then disappearing without trace, happy with his ill gotten gains.

please study the link above for how it works, but really its just relying on the good nature of decent human beings 🙂
    like i say, i dont know how its going to go, it could end with this post, it could stay on the shaving topic, or it could end up with lots of people offering all sorts of things from toasters to concert tickets to furniture and maybe even the odd bit of bike stuff, who knows?

ill start off by staying on the shaving topic and giving away my newly bought and hardly used edwin jagger DE89L razor, with a selection of blades ill chuck in too. ive just bought it and used it a few times, but i prefer my merkur, plus ive got another 3 vintage gillettes in the post coming from the US, so i figure someone else would get more pleasure from it.

i was going to put it on the classifieds, but thought id like to give it away instead, and start spreading a bit of goodwill which will hopefully lead to lots of people helping lots of other people out.
    its a cracking razor, and probably the one ive seen recommended most for people to buy.
    the only rules for this are, id like it to go to someone who hasnt got a DE razor yet, and wants to try it, rather than someone just adding to their collection and rubbing their hands gleefully 🙂
    also when youve got it, report back on here telling us what you make of it, whether youre keeping it and now spending a fortune on shaving gear like a few of us, passing it on to someone else, offering something else as a PIF instead, or just any other favour of some sort to someone. no selling it for personal profit!
    ill pay postage.

please, could i ask that we keep this thread on this PIF topic. no offering husbands or wives as a joke, or asking for shaving advice, (theres the ‘proper’ thread for that ^^^) and lets just see how it pans out, if at all. itll be interesting to see, and if it fizzles out so be it.

itd also be good for all offers, acceptances and feedback to be made on this thread rather than private emails, which can just be used for personal details.

so…….who’s up for an Edwin Jagger DE89L then?

Cougar

Wow. Me please! Call it a wedding present. (-:

Great idea. I’ll have a think what I can offer.

Cougar

For context,

I’ve got all the other gubbins for DE shaving, but the razor I bought was a cheap plastic supermarket job and it’s pish. I’ve wanted to try a proper one for years.

sadexpunk

you seem like the perfect candidate then mate

mail me your details and ill post it to you after the weekend 🙂

theotherjonv

Cougar, drop me a line and I’ll put a pack of Astra’s and feathers in the post to you as well, give you a couple to try

bigblackshed

Sadexpunk.

That’s a very generous and community building type affair you have offered.

Cougar.

Enjoy your shave.

8)

Cougar

That’s very kind, thank you.

You both have email.

Cougar

Here’s what I’ll do, if it’s ok.

I get married next weekend, then I’ve got my honeymoon of course. When I get back, I plan have to have a big declutter and clearout. Anything suitable I’ll put aside and post here.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to offer anything, fill your boots.

Also – is it worth me removing the “shaving” reference in the title, so it can reach a wider audience?

sadexpunk

yes, certainly mate. didnt know whether itd just end up of interest to ‘shavers’, but on reflection it may make sense to change it.

ta. enjoy your wedding and honeymoon mate 🙂

bigblackshed

I was going to ask whether to keep everything in one thread, it could end up an unusable mess, or whether to start a new thread for each offer?

It would be nice to let this thread run for a while, so yes Cougar, maybe remove the “shaving” bit.

I have read the Badger & Blade link and it was against people asking for items. Which I suppose is what the Wanted section is for, but I’d like to ask for a pass-it-round if at all possible. I asked for opinions on a Merkur Futur razor last week, but I’m slightly concerned about splurging a lump of cash on a new one if it ends up not my cup of tea. Has anyone got one that is willing to let me try before I buy? I know BIG ask.

Cougar

I’ve edited the title.

I thought the thrust of PIF was if you receive, you do something nice in return.

sadexpunk

works for me doooood 🙂

bigblackshed

Cougar.

From the Badger and Blade forum.

Pass It Forward

2) PIF sometimes means “Pass It Forward”. This term has been used to describe special PIFs, where a member puts an item of theirs on loan for many members to pass it around and try out. They will build a list of around 10-20 participants. The item will be sent to the first person on the list to try out for a week, then it will be sent to the next person, and so on. At the end, the item is usually returned to the original owner of the item, or they may choose to PIF (Pay It Forward) it to one of the members of the Pass. However, this activity is normally called a pass around or just a pass (e.g. a razor pass, brush pass, soap pass, etc).

If someone could oblige then I’d offer something up as “payment”, but if that’s against the spirit then MOD it out.

sadexpunk

If someone could oblige then I’d offer something up as “payment”, but if that’s against the spirit then MOD it out.

id say its well within the spirit mate, good luck in getting yer hands on one 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

If anyone need any kids toys and or clothes – lads aged about 3-6 but some of the games will suit both genders then I will happily donate this as PIF

Probably a couple of small boxes worth but I can list if you like such gems as
    Mr potato head, Transformer dressing up suit, some jigsaws, couple of board games possibly guess who think I have a cycle helmet and some waterproofs as well

Postage may be a bit though but I will do pics and a proper list if anyone cares

thegreatape
    Free Member

BBS – if I do find mine, I’ll happily send it to you to try one out.

(****ed if I know where it is but I haven’t forgotten! The LHG was having a big tidy up today so there is a slim hope).

Cougar

Cougar.

From the Badger and Blade forum.

Sorry, I wasn’t starting an STW Argument™, I was just concerned I’d got it wrong.

bigblackshed

Cougar.

I was just being presumptuous.

And I paid for a 5 minute argument, that was never 5 minutes!

sandwicheater

@Junkyard, where you based sir? our wee lad is fast growing out of everything he has to shield him from the rain. He’s only two but the size of a three year old (well, a tad bigger actually).

I’ve a big pile if sci-fi books people can have if up your street.

I’ll have a dig around for other stuff that may be up people’s street.

Cougar

I’ve a thing.

I’ve got a Keyboard Kindle. Goes for about £30 on ebay. Surplus to requirements, a few of the key labels are a bit worn. Any takers?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Lancashire NWest but [ with varying timescales] I can deliver it anywhere along the M62 and as far north as Scotland.

if its just the rain gear it wont be that dear to post anyway

without looking stuff will be abou t 3-6 i reckon [ i got small kids so hard to judge] and I have 2 x waterproof pac a mac thingies
    2 x softshells but waterproof and i think 2 x waterproof trousers

may have wellies and waterproofs shoes depending on feet size – forget what but say 10 ish???

Drop me an e-mail if any use.

bigblackshed

Thanks Ape.

Cougar

Blades arrived today. (You need to work on your spelling…)

Thank you. (-:

jakd95
    Free Member

I have a practically new On One chaintug that didn’t fit my Inbred that someone could have, if they’d have a use for it? I’ll pay postage.

postierich
    Free Member

People still shave!!! 🙂
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/ro192K]10620620_10152910018576474_6525109321692129882_n-2[/url] by Richard Munro, on Flickr

sweepy
    Free Member

I’m posting to make this thread easy to find as much as anything else, but in the spirit of things-

Need to cut sticks in half at sub-optimal speeds? I have a spare folding saw that has been made surplus to requirements by my purchase of a better bahco one.
    Let me know if you want it.

Cougar

Oh,

Razor arrived today. It looks ace, can’t wait to try it. It’s a world apart from my largely-plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic thing.

Sincerely, thank you.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ve got an unused Samsung supplied battery for an s4 for whoever wants it. The problem is I’m not in the UK until the 10th but am posting on here as I will forget.
    Also some S3 screen protectors bought in error and never returned.

grum
    Free Member

Cool thread. Will have a think about what I could offer.

sadexpunk

Oh,

Razor arrived today. It looks ace, can’t wait to try it. It’s a world apart from my largely-plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic thing.

Sincerely, thank you.
    excellent, thanks for letting me know you got it ok 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

I am tight and suspissious so if you can provide proof of relevant child and collect I have a himax child seat with two mounts . going in Leeds.

lunge

OK, bike related, I have a Selle Italia SLR saddle (like this), white with a red stripe and carbon rails. It weighs next to nothing. It’s a bit beaten up and has a big scruff on one corner. But, if anyone wants it, even if it’s just to try, it’s all yours.

midlifecrashes

Table football anyone? Not pub quality as they don’t spin quite as well(with GT85 they do) , but you can have a decent game, and my kids are bored with it now. Doncaster.

flyingmonkeycorps

Bike related – I’ve a brand new bash guard and 36/24 (I think) rings from a RaceFace crank sat in the loft doing nothing if they’re any use to anyone. Based in Hull but I’m sure I can post ’em.

cliffyc
    Free Member

Hey lunge,I’ll take your SLR. Mine was “aquired” by bike thief when he took my Trek last year. Plod got my bike back but toerag had swopped saddle and my spuds!. My email is clffcrbtr@gmail.com. Anything you are after bike wise?. Let me know how much for posting can send dosh/stamps. Cheers 🙂

lunge

cliffyc, just checked back on this thread, I’ll drop you a message, send me your address and I’ll pop it in the post.

No payment needed, in the spirit of PIF I’m sure you’ll repay the karma in due course.

cliffyc
    Free Member

@lunge,will email you tonight. Can’t access my inbox at work due to firewall from hell! . Many thanks. 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

3m of white jagwire gear outer, brand new, and a 31.6 ragley seatpost – used. If anyone wants them, post up here and if ye cover the postage, they’re yours.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Just popped by to say what a great thread and too having a clearout/downsize after the imminent hols 🙂

mesh

Nobeer, I’d very gratefully take the outer cable off your hands, as I’ve split both sections on my Pitch due to a few too many errant rocks 🙁

Cheers
    Phil

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘PIF comes to Singletrackworld (Pay It Forward)’ is closed to new replies.