Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Piemonster and I with our May bivvy
  • scotroutes

One of the signs that bikepacking in Scotland has become a lot more popular is the proliferation of routes being published and discussed online. Living in Aviemore, I’m very aware that many of the more popular options pass close by and there are other areas that are getting a similar level of attention. However, it’s still possible to find some rarely-visited little corners of the country and one of these is Morvern, south of Ardnamurchan. Together with Ardgour they form a wonderful but relatively little visited area. Being devoid of Munros they’ve escaped the attention of much of the hillwalking community and being surrounded by the sea makes visiting them slightly more complex. I’d also been attracted to the area when trying to fill out my long-term plan of cycling Scotlands coastline and had come up with a couple of routes in the area. With an atypical long dry spell in progress it looked like this would be an ideal option for Shaun and I to get our May bivvy out of the way.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2017/05/roads-less-travelled.html

kcal

Spent quite a few hill walking days in Morven / Ardgour – that would be +20 years ago mostly – ascent of Garbh Bhienn is really quite fine. But I agree not obvious choice for many 🙂

It’s really lovely spot and some great out of the way hills, couple of aircraft crash sites above the massive quarries on the E coast.

scotroutes

I was a bit conflicted writing that up. It would be nice to think that there are some corners of the country that remain less well known.

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

The other way to look at it is that by making the unknown corners a bit better known you will take pressure off the popular bits

scotroutes

Aye and the wee track from Drimnin would probably benefit from a bit more traffic too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Piemonster and I with our May bivvy’ is closed to new replies.