• This topic has 55 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Pictures of your Birds….
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Looking at the 145..m/l looks ridiculously long.. But not sure if I’d regret the shorter medium once the industry decides its the way to go. Also.. I have tiny arms.. Anyone got one in Edinburgh I could sit on?

How does it climb?

mark90
    Free Member

How tall are you tpbiker? The 145 doesn’t feel as long as it looks on paper.

My friend with a 145 is 5’7″ and rides an ML with 35mm stem. She also tried the M, which also fit. The small jumps in sizes mean often two bikes will fit, giving you a choice, or a dilemma, depending on how you look at it. Equally people up to around 5’10” seem happy on an ML.

I’m also 5’7″ and would go for the ML having ridden both the M and ML. When I demoed the 145 Ben said he’d put me on an ML when he saw me, and he was right. I currently ride a M in the old model Aeris as there was no ML size, just M or L.

If you’re unsure try to get a demo or at least speak to the guys at Bird.

tpbiker
    Free Member

5.9 with short arms.. And legs

The seat tube is fine in either size however..

Current reach on bike is 425 mm, so throwing 60mm on that is something I’m struggling to get my head round.. Even if I lose 15*mm off my stem.

I can see how it would benefit full on flat out descending.. But im a mincer who would use it mainly on red and black trail centres.. I have a downhill bike for my alpine adventures so this may be too much of bike

mark90
    Free Member

Arguably a 120 might be better suited to that use, but the sizing is still pretty much the same. The 120 pedals even better than the 145 and the 145 pedals well.

Personally I like the long reach, plenty of room and don’t feel over the front of the bike on steeps. But with the steep seat angle it doesn’t feel long when seated, and that helps it climb well too.

Try to get a demo. I wasn’t convinced on paper/numbers originally, especially comparing to the short bike I had previously.

joemmo
    Free Member

Tpbiker – yes, maybe the 120 would be a better choice for that kind of thing. I also wondered what it would feel like with the reach on the ML but it’s absolutely fine, no sense of being over stretched or badly positioned.

joebristol

Tpbiker- I’m on an ML Aeris 145. I’m 5’9 with fairly short arms but average size legs I suppose. It doesn’t feel stretched to ride – I was previously on an 18″ Boardman pro fs which on paper is a lot shorter.

There’s a fair amount of standover room – I’m using a brand x dropper (think either 120 or 125mm drop) and there is quite a lot of the post showing above the frame – so overall it could be inserted a fair amount further, or I may get away with a 150 mm dropper.

It pedals pretty well – I mostly ride trail centres with a bit of natural stuff occasionally and about 3 or 4 uplift days per year. I wouldn’t personally swap it for something with less travel – but it’s my only proper mtb.

If you have a DH bike then maybe look at the Aeris 120 as an alternative. Well worth test riding both I’d think.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Not looking at a 120 bike as already have a yeti ascr. Thus would be to replace my trance and bridge the gap between the yeti and the dh bike.

benpinnick

tpbiker we’re at the Falkirk Funduro on Sat if you want to try an ML Aeris…

joebristol

Tpbiker- I’m going to have bike envy – so many bikes you have!

I’d think the 145 would be a good replacement for the Trance with bang up to date geometry. It’s fine on fairly pedally stuff around Ashton Court / Leigh Woods in Bristol which is fairly mundane stuff, but really comes alive on more exciting trails. It’s greatbon red trail centre runs – loved it at BPW – although I’ve not done any of the blacks there.

Reasonably regularly do the red grades XC routes at Cwmcarn and I’ve beaten all my past climbing and descending times on the 145.

Well worth a test ride – especially if you can make the event Ben mentioned above.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Unfortunately I can’t make Falkirk this weekend but it’s great to know that demo days occur up here as well!

One question I do have for Ben.. I see it’s a 31. 6 seat tube. What’s the advice on using a 30.9 dropper and shim in there as otherwise I’m also going to have to factor in replacing my almost new transfer post.

benpinnick

Its no problems tpbiker – USE make one that does it for you.

iainc

2 sleeps to go 😀

iainc

and here it is, still a few things to tweak. Hopefully get it out for a shakedown ride Sunday morning 🙂

joemmo
    Free Member

nice. I like that you’ve attempted to colour-coordinate the protective tea towel

chiefgrooveguru

Nice, but… What In The Love Of God is that saddle?!!!

(And that’s an optimistic rear tyre for the last day in November!)

iainc

^^^ Saddle is an ISM Peak. Long medical story…

Tea Towel was pure chance !

Ardent 2.4 – dunno, not used before so will see how it goes !

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Pictures of your Birds….’ is closed to new replies.