Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Pics of 16" or 18" Scandals and Inbreds please!
  • pixelmix
    Free Member

Looking for one of the above, but as I'm 5ft7in and currently ride a 17.5" frame with a lot of seat post, I'm a bit torn for sizing.

Would be interested to see what other people's on one bikes look like too (please post frame size and your size too).

Post away!

carlphillips
    Free Member

no pics online but ride a 16" 456 and im 5'9, an 18" would be too big for you i reckon.

did you contact onone re scandal availability next week..?

pixelmix
    Free Member

Yes, I did email on one the other week. It was me that posted about scandal availability in the other thread.

Still torn between a dedicated singlespeed green inbred or buying a scandal and putting the bits from my Epic on it for racing. Ideally would like both.

On one certainly suggest 16" for people my size, but the shots I have seen do look small. I've had a Trek and a Specialized in 17.5 before and found them both spot on.

druidh
    Free Member

I'm 5'7" and was riding a 16" Inbred.

Inbreds are quite loooong. I reckon an 18" would be too big.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

5'7" here and wouldn't go any bigger.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i just want a dedicated ss i use my epic for races and thats fine.
    like the green colour buit would like light bike!!

i wouldnt think of using an 18" its too big for you.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Quite a coincidence that we both race Epics and are simultaneously looking for an on one.

For my dedicated singlespeed I fancy going inbred, as I can't justify the extra cost of a scandal for my 'fun bike'. Do fancy shedding a pound or two from my race bike, and a bit less maintenance too. Wonder if I'll be slower on the rough stuff though. One solution would be to buy a cheap scandal frame for my race bike, sell the epic frame, and use the money from that towards my singlespeed.

Thanks for the photos and advice. The above bikes both look really good, and it sounds as if 16" is the best size. There is a lot of seatpost in those pics, but they do look long!

Keep 'em coming!

sv

I'm 6ft tall and ride an 18inch Inbred.

pinches
    Free Member

5ft 10 32" inside leg 18" scandal

i think the issue with having a scandal in 18" at your height would be top tube length rather than stand over. the seat tube length is 18" centre>top, but the top tube height centre to centre is actually 16" on my 18"

saladdodger
    Free Member

I am 5'8" and ride a 16" 456 with a 400 mm seat post because a 350mm post would be too short

the fit is great because the top tube is so long a 18 would of been a mistake for me

do not forget they have a high bb so gonad clearanse could be a issue

gonetothehills
    Free Member

5' 11" on an 18" Inbred. They don't ride "heavy" at all, and if you've only got the 1 gear on it, that's a chunk of weight lost. I can't imagine you'd need anything bigger than a 16" though. Best of luck – they've got a deal on steel frames on at the moment too…

Here's mine as it was from new in SS mode… it now has 26 more gears though. 😳 and the green in the pic is *nothing* like the real colour; not sure what happened there…?!

carlphillips
    Free Member

i only really do the odd enduro so a HT race bike would be silly over my comfy epic, i too think the inbred would be the sensible option due to cost so may just stop pi$$ing about an get one ordered!!
    agree on the maintenance on the epic mine has been a real pain, since buying ive had the rear wheel re laced due to many many spokes snapping off at the nipples, ive been through 4 rear shocks, and replaced every bearing on the frame oh and the forks blew too…when it goes ok though its real nice to ride so its a keeper!!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I've got a geared 456 and Scandal SS which I think is the way forward, lightweight for singlespeed duties in my book. How seriuos a racer are you, you could always race a singlespeed Scandal. 😈

pixelmix
    Free Member

Racing 'Sport' in SXC next year, and I fancy putting in a bit of effort in, so singlespeed racing isn't really an option – I'm not that fit, or quite that insane.

My Epic has been ace (got the seals on the shock replaced with better ones under warranty shortly after purchase and it has been perfect since), but I do like simple, light bikes. Maybe get a Scandal frame to replace the Epic, and stick a green Inbred in the cupboard until I have the cash to build it up as a weekend runaround.

Milt
    Free Member

5'6.5"
    16" frame

sohala
    Free Member

fatmuthahubbard – Member
    i just want a dedicated ss i use my epic for races and thats fine.
    like the green colour buit would like light bike!!

how light do you want it? i ride a green 18" ss inbred that comes in at 22lb 😯

Mof
    Free Member

This is an 18" frame and fits me well. I'm 5'10" (and a half) with a 31" inside leg but quite long monkey stylee arms. Had 90mm stem on but switched to 100mm. Good fit but front end was a bit light on climbs….flipping the stem has made a world of difference.

Northwind

Here is mine…

And you need a small. This is a small, I was 5'10, and though it was a hair too small for me it was close.

inbred853

No Pic, but 5'7" and I ride a 16" Inbred 853 if you hadn't guest. 400mm SDG post & saddle(I beam – no probs)and a 80mm stem. Fits like a glove, done about everything on it, except silly height jumps and still comes back for more.

jockhaggis
    Free Member

No pictures but 5' 9" and a 16" Scandal.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

My son ride a 16" scandal ..hes 5ft five
    i ride a 16" 853 single .. and i`m 5ft 6 …. both perfect in size ..

hora
    Free Member

Hijack. I found the 18" Inbred too long in the top tube. Planning on getting a 16" 456. Does it sound daft- 6ft1 on a 16"?

pinches
    Free Member

does sound fairly outrageous, what length stem did it have on?

m0nster2
    Free Member

16" and 5'8" here (but the legs of someone 5'5", I reckon)

Only just finished (See http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/my-first-from-scratch-build-new-bike-content ) so not ridden in anger yet.
    Felt right in terms of size though.

hora
    Free Member

Im running a 70mm stem on a medium Blur4x at the moment (22.5TT/17inch ST) and it feels 'right'. Im no where near a climber and is it right to think you can size a full suss and hardtail similarly even though one doesnt have sag?!

markenduro
    Free Member

5'11" with 32" inside leg here and on an 18", think 18" will be to big for you though, go for a 16":

Now gone and been turned into this:

smell_it
    Free Member

5'9 and a 16'

firestarter
    Free Member

im 5 10 with a 31 ish iirc inside leg. post is extended from frame to saddle rails 275mm its an inline post and 70mm stem fits great i did have an 18 inbred before it and found it a bit long . 18 would probably look better but not feel better for me 😉

pixelmix
    Free Member

Thanks again for all of the advice and great pics! Just need to find a 16" scandal frame now then! If I can't get a secondhand one shortly, fingers crossed they will be back in next week.

Itching to order a green inbred for ss duties too…

pinches
    Free Member

hora – Member

Im running a 70mm stem on a medium Blur4x at the moment (22.5TT/17inch ST) and it feels 'right'. Im no where near a climber and is it right to think you can size a full suss and hardtail similarly even though one doesnt have sag?!

see the only thing that would concern me is the top tube length. Scandal/Inbred on an 18" is 23.7 TT (effective) i run mine with a 70mm stem and its still a "long" bike (racey geometry), the 456 is only marginally shorter at 23.5!

you only lose 12.5mm in a frame size remember (in terms of top tube), so you could be better off with an 18" and a 50mm stem.

Hora if you want to try mine i'd be happy to meet you at Guisburn?

hora
    Free Member

mi©k I do think that you would be changing frame for changes-sake. i.e. surely not enough difference between the two frames to warrant a change? I'd respray..

Although still interested in the frame if you sent me an email to my yahoo! pinches, would love to- its an ice field at the moment? Are you off work this week?

pinches
    Free Member

I'm away in the south until after new years, will be back on the 5th. Hopefully the place will have thawed by then 😆

hora
    Free Member

Agree (sorry for the hijack)

firestarter
    Free Member

hora i mailed you mate. To yahoo one. I was thinking of a change to a blue pig but it fell thru so its looking like a respray at some point unless of course i ickle bluepig comes up 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Respray it (but not pink). Pink just looks like it should have tassles on the ends. Plus, imagine stopping at a pub for a pint. You'd get alot of 'funny' looks 😉

Ps. You sure? Why arent I getting them? markhoracekuk@yahoo.com ? I must admit I havent had any emails for a couple of days since the pc virus.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

most of those bikes are far too clean

grizzer
    Free Member

know what you mean hora bout the 18" being long iam 6'1 and got a 90mm stem but need to run the seat right back on it's rails,new stem me thinks!does anyone know if a 29.6 hope seat binder will fit as it's spose be 29.8 ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm about 5'9" and ride a medium Epic and have also had several 18" Inbreds.

Unfortunately the latest (red) one isn't currently built up otherwise you'd have been welcome to give it a go, given you're local. I've never tried the 16" Inbred because I've found the 18" ones perfect for me, as I like a long TT.

firestarter
    Free Member

i likes the pink mate 🙂 and yes mail sent to that address

pixelmix
    Free Member

Cheers Steve, you seem to have quite the collection there! I'll keep an eye out for a shiny new red inbred in the Pentlands then.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Pics of 16" or 18" Scandals and Inbreds please!’ is closed to new replies.