Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Picos de Europa – what bike
  • johnx2
    Free Member

Off to Spain end of the week staying on the cost near to the Picos. Never been before and done v little research.

I’ve booked a bike on the plane thinking of taking a road bike (need to get a bit fitter for 3 peaks cx end of Sept), but a look at some of the online stuff ( http://cantabriaenbici.es/primavera2007/48-ruta-en.html) makes me wonder if the cross bike might be more fun?

Anyone know the area? Thoughts? Don’t say mtb as I’ve no chance of fettling the gears before Friday.

Ta!

webwonkmtber
    Free Member

Road bike. Amazing part of the world – unspoilt, great roads and great riding.

bob_summers

Where are you staying? We spend about six weeks a year up there on the coast, at Oyambre (just got back from there this afternoon as it happens). I did the 10,000 del Soplao granfondo a few times, which for road riding is as good as it gets around there. The route’s 315km so you’d be able to pick part of it closest to you. https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4652719

That said, the last two years I’ve taken a ‘gravel’ bike and enjoyed mixing road and trail. The Soplao granfondo also has an MTB version, most (all?) of which is doable on CX.

I’ve done a few of these too, nothing super technical I couldn’t manage on slick tyres with a bit of common sense: http://www.diezmildelsoplao.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=113&Itemid=91

pistonbroke
    Free Member

I assume you know that the Vuelta is in the Cantabrian mountains next week, Wed and Thurs in the eastern section fri and sat around Oviedo inc the fabulous Angrilu. We’re taking the camper van and a couple of gravel bikes mainly for the lower gearing on the 25+% climbs.

eddie11
    Free Member

It’s a Mecca for Spanish road cycling. It’s home to Lagos de covadonga which is like the Spanish alp d’huez and where Miguel induurain sacked it off and retired half way through the stage.

That said there are some great mountain walks and they don’t have the same access rules as us so it looks like great mountain biking but hard work. 1500-2000m climbs/descents like a dry version of the Lake District but all hike a bike no lifts.

whitestone
    Free Member

You could do the Cares Gorge. 😯 I’ve taken the Fuente De cable car and ridden from there back to Potes, old style XC with spectacular scenery.

jate
    Free Member

Road bike all the way. Went there last year and it’s the best place I’ve ridden (& I’ve done Alps, Pyrenees, Corsica, Sardinia, Dolomites, Andalucia, Province, Massif Central etc). Loads of good routes. And yes walk the Cares Gorge. Simply stunning.

csb

Toured all over there with a gravel bike and panniers. Only technical bit was down off the top of fuente de cable car (first of the day takes a bike up) down to the north. Ace off road ride into fuente de from the west. Covadonga worth riding up for the views. Lovely hostel up on soto de sajambre.

poolman
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the weather its a bit stormy here today and the next few days.

johnx2
    Free Member

…so take a bike basically 😀 No closer to a decision, but thanks!

(And yes my wife was surprised by the strange coincidence that the vuelta happened to be passing close by Ribadesella.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Picos de Europa – what bike’ is closed to new replies.