• This topic has 55 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Picking up free stuff on here and selling it on pinkbike
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

Got some mountain king’s if you can pick up from York, both 2.2 but come up fairly big, wire bead. Slight cracking on the sidewalls but should be fine with inner tubes?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hora – Member

Name and shame. You pass the love on not profit IMO.

hora – Member

Years ago a fellow STW’er gave me a manual film camera for my other half. We still have it and if it was to be moved on it would be given away or sold and the proceeds given to a charity.

A bit like those orange bombers I sold you for a good price because I had them spare and you were forkless at the time? And appeard back on the classifides a month later for more?

tpbiker
    Free Member

A bit like those orange bombers I sold you for a good price because I had them spare and you were forkless at the time? And appeard back on the classifides a month later for more?

chuckle….

stevied
    Free Member

hora – Member
    Name and shame. You pass the love on not profit IMO.

hora – Member
    Years ago a fellow STW’er gave me a manual film camera for my other half. We still have it and if it was to be moved on it would be given away or sold and the proceeds given to a charity.

robdob
    Free Member

I often find it weird when people complain about this sort of thing. When you sell or even give something away you relinquish any control over what happens to them in the future. They aren’t yours any more even if you gave them away, so why on earth would you get annoyed about what happens to them? Surely its pretty obvious that if you give something away that has some value you might find that someone realises that value later on?

Maybe the guy got them thinking he was going to use them but decided not to for a legitimate reason, but sells them on to get something else?

Let it go, let it go…..

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

DID SOMEONE SAY #LETITGO

Hehehe 😉

@yorkshire89 – That’s a kind offer. I’ll talk to the Mrs and see if we can make our day-out in York this Sunday and email you @hotmail.

gonzy
    Free Member

I’ve got 3m of white gear cable – Jagwire – brand new, that I’ll never, ever use if anyone wants it?.

But if ye sell it, I’ll hunt ye down…

i’ll take them if no -one else does. 😀
    i’ll put them to good use (no selling involved)

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I had an old commuter-tastic P7 frame that was battered but straight.

I put it on the Classified here for the price of the postage.

It was signed for, so I know when it was delivered. Within half an hour it was on eBay for £50.

Lesson learned.

flyingmonkeycorps

Just for balance… A long time ago on a forum far, far away a generous poster donated me my first FS frame, a Giant VT. It was a bit big for me, but I loved it and after I’d replaced the bushings and bearings I rode it for a year or so until I’d saved up for another frame (a Heckler, as it happens).

So, I tried to give it away. Unfortunately, nobody wanted it. Posted on the original forum, on here (I think) and on some other places… Not a sausage.

So I put it on eBay and it sold for £180 plus postage. IIRC I then kept the cost of the bearings and gave the rest to charity. Dude was really happy with it too.

adsh
    Free Member

I paid the postage to give away 3x XTR chains at 0.75 wear. Next time I tried to get £3 or £5 for Help 4 Heroes. Big fat zero so now have about 6 I’ll throw away 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Buying something at “stw mates rates” on here then relisting for full price is pretty sneaky but buying a full bike off you and then stripping it and selling it for a profit, coz you couldn’t be bothered* with the hassle of doing the same, is fair game IMO.
    Taking charitable free stuff and selling it on is bang out of order tho.

I agree with this.

It’s all part of the community spirit of this place IMO – if you’re giving something free it’s almost certainly not because you think it has no value, it’s (at least in part) to do something nice. If someone then instantly tries to make a profit from it I’d be pissed off. Just doesn’t seem in the spirit of the gesture IMO.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Basingstoke?
    That explains it!

😉

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Gofasterstripes – no problem. I may be heading over to Stainburn on Sunday so could chuck them in the car and meet you there if thats any good 🙂

BoardinBob

As a general rule of thumb, don’t give anything away to anyone using the name

Baz
    Daz
    Gaz

etc

chakaping
    Free Member

I often find it weird when people complain about this sort of thing. When you sell or even give something away you relinquish any control over what happens to them in the future.

Yes this is true, however it’s still disappointing considering the OP thought he was helping someone out.

FWIW I think there is a genuine community spirit on here but also a number of shameless freeloaders and would-be Del Boys only too happy to take advantage.

hora
    Free Member

My carbon Havoc bars are surplus to requirements but not really sellable as marked up and cut down to 730mm.I’d love to give them to a young rider who is into the sport but tight on pocket money for free. But I just know they’d end up on someones second or third bike or sold on.

So its to the shed with them 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Picking up free stuff on here and selling it on pinkbike’ is closed to new replies.