Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Picking up a GT Grade today…
  • dogthomson

I’m picking up a GT Grade AL from my LBS today.

From reading the reviews and a few forum posts I understand the stock tyres aren’t that great.

So, what tyres for general on/off road duties? Ideally I’m looking for an all-rounder that rolls OK on tarmac but can cope with gravel and mud too.

I know, moon on a stick and all that!

Any recommendations?

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I love my Nanos.

flange
    Free Member

Stock tyres aren’t THAT bad, depending on what you’re going to be doing with it. Mainly road riding, they’re ok. I use my Grade solely for commuting so I’ve switch to Conti 4 seasons but I’ve run GP4000’s on there in the past. Off-roady type stuff, I’ve got a pair of Challenge Strada Bianca but I rarely use it for that type of riding so they tend to stay in the garage

Be aware of the back wheel being fairly rubbish – I snapped a number of spokes before upgrading to a new set.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve come across posts online suggesting http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYPAGRSK/panaracer-gravelking-sk-folding-tyre are very good, rolling at least as good as Schwalbe G-Ones, but wearing far slower.

I think they size up eg. the 40c has been measured at 42/43mm, not sure from memory about the 32c.

dogthomson

Well, I picked up the Grade today and am very pleased with it, looks great value for the money!

I think I’ll take it for a spin at the weekend and see what the stock tyres are like and then take it from there.

Thanks for the tyre recommendations everyone!

Dorset_Knob – Do you run Nanos on a Grade? One review on the PX site says that they’re OK on the back but rub on the fork. Can you confirm?

flange – Thanks for the heads up about the wheels, I’ve read the same elsewhere too. Will keep an eye on it!

BillOddie

Check the clearance on the Grade, from memory when i was looking it was 35mm. It might have changed though.

soma_rich
    Free Member

My 35c Kenda Happy medium is the absolute max width you’d get in the frame. It’s the only issue I have with my alloy Grade.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Picking up a GT Grade today…’ is closed to new replies.