• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by aw.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Picking new bike in London, options on pedals and transport?
  • aw
    Free Member

I am picking up my brand new Condor Acciaio tomorrow from Condor cycles in London Holburn. Thing is I live in deepest kent so was wondering how on earth I was going to get it back?

I could of course go up by train in all my cycle gear and cycle back…about 50 miles. However the bike comes without pedals and currently I use SPDs. I could bring a spare of SPD pedals with me or buy new pedals and shoes while I am there, fit them and then cycle homes seems a shame to fit MTB heavy pedals to a thoroughbred road bike!

Any recommendations on good roadie pedals (and shoes) or coul I retro fit cleats to my current shoes?

aw
    Free Member
    aw
    Free Member

aw
    Free Member

Travel options?

Pedal options?

aw
    Free Member

Anyone?

Bregante

Impatient beggar aren’t you? 🙂

Just stick the SPD’s on for now to get you home, then take some time before choosing a pedal system and shoes once you’ve got it.

Nice bike btw

deejayen
    Free Member

Take your SPD pedals and shoes. You might be unable to find a pair of road shoes which fit, and if you do you might find the cleats aren’t in the correct position which could be a problem on a 50 mile ride. I’ve given up on road shoes and pedals – SPD’s work better for me, even on road bikes. Don’t forget your tools and spare innertubes etc…

m1kea
    Free Member

Dunno if you’re aware that you can’t take a full sized bike in/out London during rush hour(s)? – folders only then.

This may impact your travel plans and timings?

scc999

If you decide to use the train then you could take the wheels off and stick them in a large bag and just carry the fame. Not a bike then….

Si

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cycle from Holborn to Waterloo East. Train to Kent from there. I think you may have to hang about for off peak hours or you will get a lot of dirty looks, or even be asked to get off the train.

Or just ride back.

Tebbalot
    Free Member

Pick it up outside of rush hour, then you can either walk/cycle it up to kings cross and catch a train to kent
    EDIT: trains to kent might be from st pancras but its only next door

Sandwich

Set of Time Xpresso 6 or 8 and some Sidi or other shoes to suit from Condor (Pedals chosen for maximum float and adjustable Q factor). You’re laying out a fair wedge on a bike they should spend some time on helping you choose and set up the new pedals too.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks guys
    Yes fair wedge £3k!
    I will take existing shoes and pedals but look for new too…

alansd1980

If you are traveling outside peak hours the train is fine.

When you built the bike up did you not get a fitting with James?
    If so the bb to saddle height will change depending on shoes/peddles.

Would be tempted if cash permits to get them fitted tomorrow and start with the bike how you want it. The guys in there are really helpful and know their stuff.

Will be in at lunchtime tomorrow to decide on a new saddle, so will keep an eye put for the new steed.

aw
    Free Member

Thanks,

Took the train up and rode all the way home, about 40 miles. Got lost around London inBermondsey, near London bridge lol.

I stuck with SPDs in the end only because they were only £20 and I already had shoes and cleats. I also was used to them.

Julian actually did my bike fit – a real gent!

The bike is a dream, you almost do not need to pedal!

I propped it up in the front garden and just stared at it for ages. She is a beaut 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Picking new bike in London, options on pedals and transport?’ is closed to new replies.