Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • picked up an Orange Gyro SE yesterday
  • rOcKeTdOg

disappointingly heavy 😕

druidh
    Free Member

Orange have never really done “lightweight” though?

munrobiker
    Free Member

I think you have missed the point.

thepodge
    Free Member

But it’s only got one set of bearings so it’s perfect in every other way

singlespeedstu

Would it be lighter if you removed the files before lifting it?

rOcKeTdOg

it’s off the list of possibles now

cupid-stunt
    Free Member

If you’re the kind of person to pick up then check the weight then push the forks and shock afterwards get something else.

rOcKeTdOg

If you’re the kind of person to pick up then check the weight then push the forks and shock afterwards get something else.

rather than a person who’d buy one just because Orange made it? no thanks, the weight put me off even contemplating a test ride, you do test ride before buying i take it?

singlespeedstu

you do test ride before buying i take it?

cupid doesn’t need to buy bikes. 😆
    He does get to test bikes before people can buy them though. 😆

rOcKeTdOg

why, is he your boyfriend? 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1

althoughI’m not an orange fanboi and the five doesn’t suit me for some reason, whch is a shame as I thing the bikes look awesome.

How does the gyro compare to other trail 29ers? Bear in mind it’s 26″ competition is 5-6″ travel bikes it’s hard to be too heavy in that bracket, my Pitch is 32lb so anything 28-30 is probably on the money.

singlespeedstu

What a Strange thing to say RD. 😆

timc
    Free Member

how heavy is that then?

MrTall
    Free Member

Was it the one in RaceCo in Stourbridge?

Looks ok but i didn’t have a play with it.

ton

the sweary northerners have all been taking turns on one.
    some very good comeback on the terrain at which it is aimed.

it might not suit flat sandy midland/southern trails tho……. 😀

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Blummin expensive for the spec!

rOcKeTdOg

it might not suit flat sandy midland/southern trails tho

how i wish it were sand atm, more axle deep cookie dough 🙁

MrTall – Member

Was it the one in RaceCo in Stourbridge?

Looks ok but i didn’t have a play with it.

Leisure Lakes Cheltenham

Northwind

pop larkin – Member

Blummin expensive for the spec!

No more so than usual tbh.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Personally I’d save £400 and go for a Santa cruz tallboy LT alloy xt

righog
    Free Member

Iv’e got a few bikes and went away for a while. when I came back I did not ride my five for ages because every time I moved it I thought, bloody hell that’s too heavy for me to ride at the minute. As soon as I did take it out I did not notice the weight at all and loved it again. If you fancy a Gyro don’t dismiss it until you have have given it a test ride at least.

From my experience Oranges are best as frame only, then built up as you want cheaper and better spec this way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heavy bikes can ride well, light bikes can ride awful.

You never know if you just pick them up…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Heavier than the spec-sheet or heavier than you expected?

If weight is an issue to you did you not check before clicking ‘buy’?

Just asking like.

igm

I’ve had a couple of quick rides on one.

It rides nice.

But then I like the Five and the Alpine. Actually I think it’s better than the Five.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

If u want a 29er, ask yourself do I really need suspension?

I’m the proud owner of a Cotic Solaris and was shocked at how fast I rode my local trail centre – with rigid forks!

Sus forks on the way soon and have no doubt it will be my new trail centre weapon 😉

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve asked and i don’t need one, but it’d be nice wouldn’t it?

Paceman
    Free Member

Heavy bikes can ride well, light bikes can ride awful.
    You never know if you just pick them up…

+1

Bregante

If weight is an issue to you did you not check before clicking ‘buy’?

I think the o.p’ meant he literally picked it up (off the ground) 🙂

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Always makes me smile when terms like “need” & “justify” are used in mountain bike conversations!

mtbmaff
    Free Member

Hello TB what brings you back here? 😉

2orangey4crows

cynic-al speaks wise words indeed. My P7 frame weighs something like 6 pounds but rides far, far better than any of the ‘light’ hardtails I’ve owned. I really don’t think weight is a guide to ride quality – ask my girlfriend. IGMC

That said, I do thing Orange’s prices are crazy for the spec. Don’t think I’d buy a full bike from them again, and I’d wait to get a frame in the sales from somewhere like JE James.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

mtbmaff – Hello TB what brings you back here?

Just thought I’d check in, see how the other half live!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

How important is weight though?

OK, it’s pretty vital if you’re racing but most of us are middle-aged bimblers playing silly buggers bikes so…

I have two mtb’s, a 26lb Mount Vision and a 33lb Wolf Ridge. The Wolf Ridge is heavy by most people’s definition but i don’t really notice it when i’m riding it. OK, it’s not as fast uphill but the slack angles will be partly to blame for that. TBH it’s the bike i reach for 90% of the time now because it’s just so much more fun to ride, even though i’ve spent 8yrs riding the MV and loved it but now it feels a bit ‘odd’ when i get back on it.
    Whether my riding has changed i don’t know but i do know the weight of the bike to me is fairly immaterial*

*Until i’m lifting the lardy pig over a stile! 🙂

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

RD what are you doing in Leisure Lakes?you will upset Pete in CC.I got told off yesterday by Cliff for bringing a Camalelbak baldder from there which was a warranty replacement 😆 😆 😆

timc
    Free Member

whats wrong with leisure lakes?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Nothing its a private Joke.

TiRed

Had a short ride on one at AYTE. Found the position very upright and it felt heavy (compared with my Kona SS 29er). Have also ridden a Carbon Tallboy, and was also a little disappointed too. Again not light. Then I rode a Giant carbon HT, and it was lovely, as was the Anthem 29er.

I wanted to like both the Orange and the SC, but in the end preferred the lightness and more stretched out position of the Giant.

zerocool

Had a blast on one last week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not ridden any other 29er FS, but it’s a really fun bike, handled well and jumped pretty good (not as good as a decent 26 inch bike). Handled the rough stuff really well.

As with all ‘off the shelf’ bikes, I’d change some stuff, but that’s more personal preference.

Shame I don’t need another FS bike, although scarily I am starting to think a 29er hardtail might be a good match for my quiver.

By the way, it does jump rather well

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘picked up an Orange Gyro SE yesterday’ is closed to new replies.