Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Pick me a new phone
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

from this lot, current phone is slowly dying, switching itself off, refusing to charge and can't get data on or off via cable.

Only thing I really need except for phone functionality is a decent media player. Edging towards Nokia 5800. Any other I should consider?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

aye phone?

.duncan
    Free Member

I own the nokia 6303 incredible battery life and call quality but not much extra going for it, just works as a phone 🙂

maybe check some of them out on reevoo.com?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    uphilla
    Free Member

The Nokia 5800 is Ok, easy to use, good for music. Camera Ok, but not good in low light. Good support and updates from Nokia. HTC HD2 gets good reviews.

grim168
    Free Member

I recently got the n97 mini. It felt solid and well made in the shop but i'm not sure about the software. Its frozen a few times already. reading on the net its not the most reliable allthough its well featured and sat nav is good. Last phone was a tocco which I had for 18 months. not that flash but reliable and robust. I'm terrible for dropping phones !

Graham

Jamie
    Free Member

Switch from Virgin to a network with decent phones?*

*iPhone 😉

Solo
    Free Member

I like HTC. No, they're not perfect, what phone is ?, but I've had 3 HTCs now.

HTC with Core Player and you'll be good-to-go.

🙂

S.

Brake-neck
    Free Member

Yup, agree with the HTC recomendation, have had 3 myself and have the HD2 arriving today. Build quality is awesome, had an i phone for a bit but not a great fan, more for folk that don't want to know whats going on inside if you know what I mean, also if its for work as well the HTC will piss all over an iphone.

trail_rat
    Free Member

e62 or e72 would be a good option – the 72 is metal construction and the 62 is plastic.

i have had a 71 for 8 month and the software is solid as a rock – never had it crash

CountZero

had an i phone for a bit but not a great fan, more for folk that don't want to know whats going on inside if you know what I mean, also if its for work as well the HTC will piss all over an iphone.

Why would anyone want to know what's going on inside? Unless they're hacking it, and I fail to see the point of that, as there are more apps than I know what to do with, and more than enought to do anything I could reasonably expect a phone to manage.

Farmer_John
    Free Member

wait a few weeks and get a googlephone on a SIM free deal.

Creg

Another vote for the Nokia 6303. Had mine a few months and can't fault it. Metal case construction, nice clear screen, easy to use.

Englishmastiff
    Free Member

Vodaphone get the I phone in a little while. Call them and find out when. It is by far the most user friendly phone I have ever had, takes good pics and as far as music, you can download form itunes wherever you are and as it's a apple product, it actually works on itunes. Internet is actally useable and very easy to navigate
    Apps are awesome, even if you don't really use a phone for much more than calling and music, you will still find loads to amuse. Map software is excellent, can download sat nav apps for less than £20.
    I give it 10/10 all day long, just had a nokia N96 which was shocking and a samsung jet which I thought at the time was a good phone, i now know it was also abysmal compared to the Iphone.
    I tend to try and avoid being sucked in by marketing, but in this case I am glad I was.
    In fact your only problem you will have that I can see is that you have the misfortune of being a Vodaphone customer. i feel for you!!

tron
    Free Member

The 5800 is pretty poxy – touch screen is pap for a start. Out of that lot, I'd lean towards a Sony Ericsson "normal" phone or the HTC HD2.

speaker2animals

I'm very pleased with my 5800 so far. But only had it a week. Did get a great deal though. As I'm jobless and short of cash I needed to get away from my £30/month contract. Rang Orange to check when contract was up. I thought it was Feb but was Jan. Told em I was thinking of pay as you go to save money (I don't really use a lot of call time or texts). They offered me a new Sony Ericsson with 200 mins and unlimited texts. Had a look at the Sony and didn't fancy the model so asked for a 5800 and they eventually gave in. Chuffed as a chuffed thing.

Jamie
    Free Member

had an i phone for a bit but not a great fan, more for folk that don't want to know whats going on inside if you know what I mean….

Not really.

Out of that lot, none really which is why I am switching fom Virgin.

Like the spec. on the Nokia N900

mieszko
    Free Member

Nokia 5800 is huge. My mate has one and it is a brick. Also doesn't feel that solid. I like my e71 and the e72 has a better camera and some better specs. Don't like touchscreen phones, like qwerty on the Nokia and the wifi, and the gps 🙂 You can put a Garmin XT on it and the screen is pretty big along with the metal case the phone feels reassuringly solid. Nokia e63 has a plastic case, is thicker and has a 2mp camera, whereas the 3.2mp on e71 is actually very good so I assume 5mp will be good as well. It all depends on how much You want to spend. Nokia has the 5530 on offer and it's supposed to be a good handset and not as bulky as 5800 but without some of the toys from 5800. Best bet is to check gsmarena or other sites and You'll get proper reviews.

For £10 I would consider: Tocco Lite, 5530, e63, refurb 5800
    £15: SE595, 5800 (You can ask for a e71, they might have some left)
    than there is the e72 for £25 but depends what You get with the package as i would expect internet included and at least unlimited texts. e71 is a very good phone and is one of the top phones in cnet reviews. If e72 is better that it's a winner. Touchscreen phones are in fashion now but for example my brothers Htc Hero lasts 2days on battery, my e71 5 days no problem with similar amount of use.

glenh
    Free Member

I'm getting rid of my iphone 'cause it's rubbish.
    Going back to the Android 😉
    I'd recommend one of these: http://www.htc.com/europe/product/nexusone/overview.html

GrahamS

had an i phone for a bit but not a great fan, more for folk that don't want to know whats going on inside if you know what I mean….

Also not really.

I'm a software engineer and I work on firmware and embedded systems. I usually have a pretty good idea "whats going on inside": I like the iPhone. A phone isn't really something I want to operate from the command line!

CountZero

The battery life of touchscreen phones is nothing to do with the touchscreen tech, it's to do with the much bigger screen and better interface causing users to spend much more time actually using the phone for power-hungry functions, like having the wifi and 3G running while web browsing, using GPS, playing games, etc. Having all the Rx/Tx on, with the backlight as well just sucks power, and users want the thinnest phone, rather than a brick, so the size of the battery is limited. If I listen to 6Music on my phone, the battery is dead in three hours on 3G, 'cos it has to work harder. Batteries get better, processors get less power hungry, the next gen iPhone will be better again than the 3Gs. My old N95 would die after three hours of music playing, or a couple of hours using the GPS, so criticising the iPhone for it's battery life, when I use the thing far, far more extensively is frankly pointless.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Pick me a new phone’ is closed to new replies.