Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pi55pot helmets – what are the advantages?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I seem to be seeing more and more p155pot helmets out on the trails these days and not just on jump bike types either.

What are the advantages then?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Easy transition from special bus to trails – 1 helmet to remember?

lipseal
    Free Member

Plus you can pi55 in it and it makes a nice jelly mold.

brakes
    Free Member

they're smooth so won't dig in or snag when you smack your head on something
    less holes to be penetrated
    keeps your head warm in the winter
    give you that rad 'mushroom' look

cookeaa

For XC/trail centers, bugger all advantage.. worse air flow, heavier, god knows why you'd choose to use one for anything other than jumpy stuff…

They normally have a proper hard shell (ABS or similar) and seem to have denser EPS so take general knocks (like you get DJing or BMXing) better, normally you get good coverage round the back of your head too adding (although XC lids seem to have stated to include similar feature in the last few years…

I own various types of helmet and will always use an XC lid for XC, a Piss pot for pissing about and a Full Facer for DH…

smell_it
    Free Member

less holes to be penetrated

sniggers…… 😳

IainGillam
    Free Member

More protection and cheaper.

Iain

carbon337
    Free Member

I like mine for rear head protection – absorbed a pretty major smash last week that put me in hospital for suspected broken neck.

I use a TSG Evo superlight and its great only 49 quid too. Style suits my fat round head better than an xc lid. Use it for natural aggressive trails and trail centres before reaching for the full face for DH.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Cheap. Warm (for winter riding). Less fragile.

ken_shields
    Free Member

V hot to wear but they do come in some cool colour schemes

Mine is one of these

DezB
    Free Member

Pi55pot helmets – what are the advantages?

You can get your kid to wear a helmet without complaint.

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

They only look nice when wearing a pair of crocs

ahwiles
    Free Member

caution! – second hand information alert!

a friend of mine is a sports scientist, he reads lots of things about this sort of thing.

he tells me that pi55pots offer less protection in a crash vs lighter xc type helmets; by that he means they're harder, so they deform less for a specific impact, so absorb less energy = bad.

but they do survive general abuse, scuffs and knocks better, so they last longer.

as an aside, they're cheaper, and warmer than most climbing helmets, so offer the option of getting 1 helmet for all your sporting needs…

(all forms of biking + climbing + snowsports + etc)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pi55pot helmets – what are the advantages?’ is closed to new replies.