Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Phytophthora – Bilberry Blight on Cannock Chase
  • BigJohn

I was riding round Brocton Coppice this evening and chatted with a guy from the agency which is trying to control the Phytophthora that is infecting the bilberries.

It sounds like they're containing it, but not eradicating it. If uncontrolled it will kill the bilberries, then the Oaks. Up to now it's only been the Staffordshire County Council land that has had the restrictions, but that's because the Forestry Commission weren't bothered, because they don't grow oak. However, it now appears it will attack larch, so they may get involved.

Anyhoo – what does this mean to us? I've seen all the signs, but have never really known what it is they don't want me to do.

Well, he seemed OK about bikers in general. The only way we will spread it is if we go riding through bilberry bushes, off piste.

If we ride down all the deer paths and singleterack (not that there is any worthwhile stuff in Brocton Coppice, oh no.) then we're not doing any harm, not spreading the disease.

But if we go charging into the bushes, blazing trails through the undergrowth, then we're making the situation worse.

He half-heartedly said we should disinfect our bikes (wash off any bits of the disease and spores with fairy liquid) to prevent us from infecting other forests where we may ride, but essentially, just keep out of the bilberry patch.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

seemingly at Afan too 😥

BigJohn

He also said that burning the infected areas hadn't worked so it looks like they will resort to spraying soon.

iain1775
    Free Member

I imagine they will struggle to contain it whilst all the wild deer are roaming free through the bilberrys.
    Best shoot them

snakebite
    Free Member

how would you shoot that many bilberry's?

scruff
    Free Member

Blunderbuss.

iain1775
    Free Member

bilberry bazooka

BigJohn

Kill Bill…(berry)

MadBillMcMad

this is serious.

I can not live without my annual dosing of billberries.
    Not noticed anything up'north yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Phytophthora – Bilberry Blight on Cannock Chase’ is closed to new replies.