Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Physios to the forum -hip flexor (I think) pain
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Really bad pain riding yesterday on inside of left leg right by groin. Got progressively worse when riding. Still achy now, seem to be painful when lifting leg before peddle stroke.

Havent had any noticable injuries etc.

Rest or mtfu and keep riding?

tmb467
    Free Member

Not a physio but have good experience as I’ve been in and out of physio for last two years

More than likely it’s one of the adductor muscles – rest will help fix it but underlying condition will be that your anterior core (front half) is weak and it could go again. Q. can you touch your toes at all?

This worked for me when I had similar issues – depending on how close you can get your knees to the chest and stop them from parting when you breathe in might show you how weak your adductors are and doing this exercise regularly helped me a lot in getting the toe touch right

There may be other drivers for your pain – the pelvis is a big joint with a lot of movement and it could be anything that is causing the problem but hip flexors are more on the top and outside of the joint rather than internal to the groin

Davesport

Ive had tight hip flexors on both sides at the same time. It lasted a year and after several visits to the GP plus an X ray I was no further forwards. Have a look at this Youtube Video It was the 2nd stretch that worked for me. After less than a week I could see a huge improvement and now do these after every other ride. Start gently and build up.

Good luck.

ferrals
    Free Member

Thanks, no can’t touch toes at all, about 6 inches off 😳

have actually booked in physio for end of week as got loads of races in the next 6 weeks so best sort it out properly. I’ll give those excersises a crack in the meantime.

edit. Any reason not to ride through the pain that you noticed?

tmb467
    Free Member

For me, the pain was a symptom of weakness in my core

Doing the exercises helped to strengthen the core but I didn’t ride through it cos I was lazy and decided I couldn’t.

Physio at the time said that as long as I was doing the strengthening exercises and postural changes were occurring then it was a good sign and any exercise would be a lot better than none. That was in my case – I can’t comment on yours but if you feel OK to ride then it’s better for you than not riding. That’s just my opinion!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Physios to the forum -hip flexor (I think) pain’ is closed to new replies.